More Fall Blues

One chilly, recent morning, Livy and I had an appointment so we decided to hit a trail out that way rather than one of our regulars.

Walking in the brisk morning air proved to be refreshing for us that morning as everyone we met wanted to come and pet  Livy.  And believe me, she ate it right up!

Unfortunately I'm still having issues with her jumping up to greet people and when I reprimand her for it, she literally takes it to heart and gets so sad that it breaks my heart.  The DNA test that we did on Livy actually said that she would be a "very sensitive" dog and her feelings would get hurt.  Well, they were right.  So I always aim for positive correction.  It's hard though.

I've tried sit however, once the person is close to her, up she goes.  Making it more difficult is the fact that everyone says "Oh that's alright, she's so cute.  She's fine.  I'm used to it."  Meanwhile they're already petting her and she's no longer sitting...UGH!

Anyway, we always enjoy our walks immensely and knowing that the colder weather will be on our doorstep soon, we're taking full advantage of Fall.

Now the yard.  Hmmm...the first thing that comes to mind is the morning we got a "hard freeze".  Quite honestly, I was concerned about my little blue hydrangea bloom.

However when Livy and I went to check the flower, there she was just as happy as ever.

That was on Thursday morning if I remember correctly.

However, by Saturday morning, it literally had become a dried, crumped clump.

Each morning we checked on it and it really was hanging in there.  The President said it should make it, knowing that daytime temps would be in the upper 50's.

I guess it was just too much for it though because, as you can see, it really looked downright pitiful...poor little thing.  It truly looked pitiful!

My sister told me that it needed to save its energy for next Summer which is what I'm choosing to go with.  Forever the optimist!
The day I wrote this post, the President and I spent most of the morning trying to unjam the paper shredder.  I know what you're thinking...what in Heavens name does this have to do with anything?!?!

Well, it's because we were working on the shredder in the kitchen at the island, I saw this, which absolutely made everything seem a little better!

Out the DR slider, I kept watching two birds as they dashed in and out and around the giant birdhouse that was my girl friend, Carole's.  Remember I told you about all the stuff her husband wanted me to have now that she was gone.  Well, this old gigantic birdhouse was one of those things.

Anyway, I think Carole must have been thinking about me that morning because, as we struggled with the shredder jam, two Eastern Bluebirds decided to either reserve this for the Spring or perhaps use it as their Winter retreat!!

Yep, Eastern Bluebirds are becoming year round residents in CT!!  You can just barely see the female sitting on the rounded pole holding the orange bird house.  It's hard because the tree behind her almost makes her blend in.  

Don't get me wrong I may not love Eastern Bluebirds as much as my Bald Eagles but they're defintely close second.

Now speaking of Bald Eagles, being November, I've been going down to the Club in the wee hours of the morning and am seeing my adults in the vicinity of the nest.  In fact, as soon as Livy wakes up, I'm heading out to one of the other nest areas...just to take a peek.

seeing, saying, and sharing...
More Fall Blues







 

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
Your photos of the lake are beautiful! How awesome to have a pair of Bluebirds. Poor little Livy, how accurate her DNA test was!
Hi JP, regretfully it's been awhile since I've visited and commented, but nice to see some of the beautiful colors you have been enjoying with Livy. Hope that all has been well with you and the Pres (Joe). We have done some travel abroad this fall, a first for us and making up for lost time. One of these days, we hope to get to CT and have time for another visit, at least that's what I keep suggesting to Patrick.

Popular Posts