This Guy


Coming across this painted turtle took me by surprise that morning.  Although the sun had just risen, it was far from "warm and toasty."  In fact, I was wearing mittens and a knit hat to keep my ears warm!!  While I had my back to the sun as I headed West, this guy was taking advantage of the morning sun and faced it head on...until I showed up anyway.

Preferring a habitat with fresh water, plenty of basking sites and soft, muddy bottoms which promote their aquatic vegetation, when Winter comes here in the NE, he will hibernate in the mud or decayed vegetation. Hence, the river.  Thanks to the drawdown (which should be completed in about a month I'm told!!!) and now that the banks have begun to sprout all kinds of vegetation, I imagine I'll be seeing a lot more of this guy before hibernation time.  Then he'll emerge earlier in March (I'm told) than other turtles.  A good friend, who happens to monitor Eagles also, is a "painted turtle buff" and always teaches me something new about them whenever I run into him.  

seeing, saying, sharing...

This Guy

Our World Tuesday

Nature Notes 2

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
He is beautiful! I didn't know they hibernate.
Ann said…
What a cool find that was.
That's a fine looking turtle! We see some here from time to time.
Fun60 said…
Hope he has a successful hibernation. He's a beautiful looking turtle.
Shiju Sugunan said…
The turtle looks cool!

Rambling Woods said…
Love turtles...and this is a big one....

Popular Posts