It's A New Day

Still struggling with the recent time change, we're out earlier than before.  Yesterday we walked not only in the morning when it was 37 degrees but also in the afternoon when it warmed up to a whopping 43.  But nearly every day, like today, is another day and another adventure.

Because I'm not yet willing to wear full blown Winter clothes, I've been experimenting with layering.  By the time we got home yesterday morning, the Pres was up and actually had quite a bit to say as I peeled back the layers one at a time...LOL!

HIM:  "Hon, that jacket isn't very heavy."

ME:  "Nope, but it's great for the wind.  See how I tightened the sleeves so air couldn't get in?  And see, how this neck gaiter prevents the air from going down?  See, what I have on underneath...a vest...a vest that I've had since we lived in Cheshire (at least 20 yrs ago), and a thin mock neck synthetic.  I wore my wool socks like you suggested and dug out my wool fingerless mittens too."

HIM:  "You know I was thinking, maybe you should carry a backpack in case you got stranded somewhere."

ME:  "A backpack?!?!!?  I'm not going to sit, relax and light a fire you know.  But I guess a small emergency bag wouldn't be a bad idea in case Livy or I get hurt."   So I gathered a few things as quickly as I could to make him happy and we were ready to hit the road.

Off we went, with my small crossbody on the front seat of the Subaru and Livy, of course, in the rear hatch.   To me we were heading out for another adventure and before too long, sure enough, look what we came across near the river.  A pretty fresh trail of the handy dandy work of the resident beaver.

Scanning the trees as we walked, I was hoping I would see one of the Eagles.  But nothing.  At this time of the year, all I do I determine if in fact a pair is claiming or has claimed the nesting territory.  I also pay close attention to the behaviors if and when I see either a mature or an immature.

Depending on time of day and weather, I always keep my eyes peeled in an area of tick pines on the West bank.  Now heading S/SE, I stopped to check the trees in the cove which is another favorite spot of theirs as well.  Nothing.

As Livy and I head to the farthest point where we can walk, I remained focused on the ground.  Often times, I look for "whitewash" on the ground or surrounding bushes.  Whitewash is a term used to describe Eagle poop...yes...you read correctly...Eagle poop!

You'd be surprised just how many fledglings and nests I've located using this technique.  Sure enough, directly under a nice pine was a decent size concentration of "whitewash".

The next step would be to walk to the nest and compare what I found to what I KNOW to be Eagle poop.  Their "mute" (poop) is white, gray or brown watery waste...no tinges of green like other birds because they don't feed on fruits or vegetables.

Heading back to the car, I once again, focused on the pines on the West bank.  Through the trees, I spotted one adult...female actually based on it's size.  Chittering as we climbed into my car...probably letting it's mate know they had company.

Look closely at the above photo...see the black arrow?  Follow it.  It's pointing directly to the Eagle which was perched on right near the top of the pine.  Of course, all I had with was my cell phone and it was about 250 yds and barely visible through the remaining leaves of the deciduous trees...LOL!

Once we got back to the car, it just remained perched there and in fact, was still there as I drove away.

seeing, saying and sharing...

It's A New Day










Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
I see the Bald Eagle!! What a fun hunting expedition!

Popular Posts