Going Solo

Visiting my sister in FL was beyond wonderful!!  As crazy as this is to admit, flying from CT was quite an experience for me.  You see...I've never flown solo.  Any and every time I flew, including when I worked at "the Bank", I always had either the Pres or my daughter with me.  It made it easy for me since both are "take charge" individuals.  I would simply follow their lead.

Picture me flying solo, getting off the plane in Atlanta at one concourse, walking all the way down to to far end of that concourse, down two flights of stairs, turning right to get the "train" which then takes you to another concourse where your connecting flight is already boarding.  No time to pee.  No time to relax.  All I can say is...it's a good thing I'm in pretty good shape for an old lady as this was all accomplished in record time.  I have to admit that doing it alone gave me a good feeling.

Landing in FL, the next step was to rent a car.  Since I have NEVER rented a car on my own,  that was a new experience as well.  I have to admit, however, that the process was seamless and I did feel pretty jazzy driving this new Chevy Malibu around town.  In fact, it made me feel like I should make it a point to clean my car inside and out when I get home.

Deciding not to stay at my sister's was the right thing to do too.  Her husband works nights so often times they are awake until 3 am after he gets home.  You all know that I'm an early to bed and early to rise kind of girl.  It would have been such an inconvenience for them.  My sister always likes to "fuss" over her guests.  This way it was easier on all of us older folks.

The hotel where I stayed was in Gulf Breeze...right on the water.  After spending the remainder of my first day with my sister and BIL when I got to the hotel all I wanted to do was crash.  Thanks to my daughter for making my trip arrangements, she had chosen a balcony room.  Sitting there with my feet up, I watched the dolphins as I talked to my daughter that first night.  What a beautiful view I had.  

A blogger friend once told me "Water is simple.  Life isn't."  She was right.  Being in this relaxing environment would be good for me.  Yes, I was going to enjoy being solo.  I needed it.

Since the hotel had breakfast included, I ate a heartily each morning before I headed to my sister's.  Bringing my deliciousness back to enjoy on the balcony as I watched all the dog walkers on the beach was far better than watching the morning news too!

Scrambled eggs, homemade waffles and the fresh, hot coffee hit the spot nearly every morning.  Then when I got to my sister's we would snack on cranberry orange bread, banana bread and or a big bran muffin!


My last evening there, I myself walked on the beach and loved the "sandy toe" feeling for the first time in a very long time.

Yes, I can appreciate why some people love living at the beach.  Although, it's a whole different world from what I know and love, it was a well deserved treat.
 
Taking this shot as I was heading to the airport for my trip home, my eyes filled with tears.  My sister and I had a wonderful visit.  We talked and laughed and ate and even cried too. We agreed and disagreed just like always.  We played with her two dogs, Ginger and Annie. We traded stories and helpful hints too.  Thinking that the sadness I felt would last forever was wrong.

Although I absolutely loved being with my sister once again, when I got home my Livy girl (and yes, the Pres) were waiting for me.  My "time away" had ended.  Now, I knew this was where I needed to be as there was a lot to do and take care before the cooler weather arrives.

seeing, saying and still sharing...

Going Solo



Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
What a reviving and emotional experience! So many firsts all alone, plus the great visit with your sister! The hotel sounds so perfect, and what a cool car! Looks like this was just what you needed ahead of a long dark winter.
WOW, that was quite the solo adventure you had but it is always good to get back home.
Ann said…
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Accomplishing things on your own is always a great feeling.
I've not been there since the new bridge went up or dealt with the roundabout at the north end. Was supposed to be there this weekend for a family thing but caught a nasty head cold that has laid me low so I stayed home so as to not expose vulnerable siblings. Glad you had a great time. Did you know there was a flamingo sighted today at Navy Point Park? They seem to be all over the place this year. I've seen flamingos next to the Mediterranean but not in the wild here in the states.

Popular Posts