Lost and Found

Another thing on our list is that toward the end of Summer, we always "do corn."  

The Pres picks the corn from the farm...about 60 ears per bag then brings them home where we shuck, clean, cook and remove the sweet, juicy kernels from the cob. Once a batch is done, we measure specific amounts and put it in quart sized zip-lock freezer bags.  After being dated, the bags are placed in the freezer, stacked neatly (?) side by side. 

We make enough to last for the year for ourselves and always a few extra to give away to friends.  We always tell the kids if they want corn to tell us how much and when could they come by to help.  Then the Pres  goes back to the farm, picks and arranges a day that works for them to come and "do corn".

So a few weeks ago, my daughter came down from RI on her day off.  The Pres had picked the day before so that morning, he and I headed out to the garage to set things up...wheel barrow for husks, table for removing kernels and bagging, propane burner to cook on with the huge enamel pot, tongs, etc.  

Parking her BMW in front of my bay, she immediately came to help.  She's a pro at it now and knows the process like the back of her hand.  Hours pass and we're done and as always, she places the majority of her corn in one of our freezers for safe keeping since they don't have a separate freezer like my step daughters do.  Anyway off she goes with a cooler full of her corn.

A few days ago when we were talking on the phone, she said, "Mom, did you find my sunglasses at the house?"

ME:  No, are you sure you left them here?

HER:  Yep.  Look in the garage where we did the corn.  I think I put them on that barrel between the two bays.

ME:  Okay,  What do they look like?

HER:  They're tortoise shell, gold trim Pradas.

ME:  Did you say "PRADA"??  And you're just noticing them being gone now?

HER:  Mom, I have several pairs of sunglasses so yes.  I went to wear them and can't find them and I know I wore them the day we did corn.

ME:  What in the world are you thinking wearing things like that to do corn?  Oh never mind.  I'll look everywhere and text you if I find them.

Well, I knew they weren't in the house because, the weekend after we did her corn, I cleaned like crazy because some folks wanted to come and see our house.  My builder often shows our house layout to prospective clients because he knows how we are...neat.  So off I went to look in the Pres' garage.

I looked on the ATV, on the tool benches, and when I got to "the barrel" I shuddered.  It was filled with scraps of wood, which meant...go get the wheel barrow and take the wood out, piece by piece until I got to the bottom!  UGH!!

Recruting the Pres to come and help me re-search the garage was the smart thing to do because once I got close to the bottom of the barrel, he was able to pick it up and dump the remainder out.  NO GLASSES.

Texting my daughter that same day telling her where I looked then about the Pres helping me re-search the garage and near our freezers, I felt just so terrible knowing what those stupid glasses must have cost. 

This morning (two weeks later) my daughter called on her way to work.  "Mom, I have good news.  I found my sunglasses.  They were here at the house.  They were in his underwear drawer.  That's where everything goes...LOL."

When she told me, I couldn't believe it.  I actually asked her if she just bought a new pair so she could tell me to stop worrying.  She didn't.  She probably cleared off the top of his dresser and put everything in his drawer by mistake.

seeing, saying, and sharing...

Lost and Found






Comments

Oh the memories that post brings back. Our corn was measured by the #3 wash tubs full. Those are the big ones. Mama was a pro at cutting corn off the cob using her handy dandy corn cutter. I have one and have used it a few times but she could fly with that thing. As an adult I've canned or frozen some things but its not something I do regularly.
Ann said…
All that corn would have made Wade happy. Me I can take it or leave it. How funny that of all places her sunglasses ended up being in an underwear drawer.
Just as well they didn't make it into the bags of corn else it would have been a long wait! Alls well that ends well, and if I'm not mistaken, a lesson to be learned....
ERin

Popular Posts