Home...It's Where We Belong

Remember me telling you that before Summer officially comes to an end, I have a lot to do.  Well, I made a list of things I have to do in our yard...transplant/relocate 3 Azaleas, transplant/relocate two Bleeding hearts (because they're not happy where they are); transplant the Lily of the Valley (because they're not happy where they are either); cut down/trim everything on the upper stone wall; cut down/trim both the upper and lower garden beds near the front of the house; lastly, cut down the Monarda.

You're probably thinking well why did you plant these things there in the first place?

Having to put in a "French drain" along the stone wall near the Pres' garage is the cause of many of the larger plants being moved.  It's just got to be done to let them bloom and grow.

Anyway, once that stuff is done, I can throw in some seeds that need planting in the Fall...the echinacea, lupine, and black-eyed Susan seem to get a good head start when I plant them in the Fall.

Since we had just gotten a ton of rain, and knowing that the soil would be moist, I thought that the digging and transplanting should be done first.  

I did the Bleeding Hearts and the Lily of the Valley first.  That was Day 1.  

Pulling the wagon over to the fence line where the Bleeding hearts were located, I gently lifted their roots up and out of the saturated ground.

You know how plants are.  If they're not happy where they located, they don't do well.  They need to be where they belong...just like people.

these Bleeding hearts were just begging me to move them closer to the woods and rightfully so as since they are a woodland plant.  Of course, in order to dig a decent hole I had to get my trusty Root Assassin.  Cutting through the existing roots at the edge of the trees with this thing was like slicing butter.  Reaching the dark, rich, moist once "farm soil" in mere minutes, they were planted ever so carefully.  Giving them a drink later that day was the icing on the cake.

However, relocating my Lily of the Valley was a tougher project.  I never realized the root system on these fragrant, delicate looking plants!  When my MIL passed away 10 years ago, I asked the family if I could dig a few from her yard.  She loved them and when I would walk down to her house with my dog, we would in the shade and enjoy their fragrance.

When I planted them here, I thought there would be enough shade for them.  I was wrong.  They multiplied anyway and even bore fruit.  Moving them to the edge of woods where they'll receive less direct sun should help prevent the leaf scorch I've been seeing.  They too should be happier, getting much less sun near the edge of the woods as they too are a woodland plant.  I threw in a few small clusters Black Labradorian Violet too...just for kicks and grins.  They'll all blend nicely with the Columbine.

seeing, saying, and sharing...
Home...It's Where We Belong



Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
You are a great plant parent! Now, how is your back?
Ann said…
That sounds like a lot of work. I just gave up on gardening outside my house.

Popular Posts