Getting Crowded

Driving home after our morning walk  I spotted this adult Bald Eagle as I passed the section of the river where they often fish.  I couldn't help it.  I just had to pull over and take the shot with my phone through the window no less (which I think attributes to the odd hue).  I believe that this is one of a nesting pair in this particular area.  Note to self:  date/time noted again.

As with people... behavior matters.

Although it's only September, it tells me that perhaps I'd better get on the ball and start rearranging my closest...putting Summer stuff in the back and moving the warmer clothes to the front.  It won't be long before I begin exploring potential nesting sites.

Last year I stopped doing extra volunteer work at the local Famers Markets and Fairs for the local organization I belong to.  I guess you could say this "ranger retired", although they don't consider me retired.   I was beginning to feel like it was work and not "volunteer work", if you know what I mean.

Deciding to focus on what I enjoy...Bald Eagles (and Osprey in the Spring and Summer) will give me more time with Livy and is much less stressful allowing me to focus my time/efforts for  CT DEEP.  

A while ago, I received a call from someone I didn't recognize.  I let it go to voicemail.  Listening carefully the man told me  about yet another Eagles' nest.  This would be a total of 5 (maybe 6 if I find another that I've been honing in on through activity since the Spring of this year).  

Anyway, that the morning I pulled over minutes later a pick-up truck slowed down and pulled up next to me.  Rolling down his window the man said, "Are you okay?  Are you broken down?"

ME:  Oh no we're fine.  I help monitor Bald Eagles and noticed this guy so I'm just jotting down some info.

HIM:  I met you 8 maybe 9 years ago when we talked about the possibility of a nest around here.  

Long story short, we exchanged business cards and phone numbers.  He knows a ton of people I know that are not involved with Eagles too!  So, now I have YET another adventure awaiting...on the other side of the river.  Google maps here I come!

seeing, saying, and sharing...

Getting Crowded

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
What a lovely chance meeting! And I think leaving your volunteer job was a wise move.
Ann said…
When volunteer work feels like a job, leaving it is a good idea.
I don't blame you one second. When an unpaid volunteer position has turned into a job, its time to move on. I'm so glad you're seeing eagles. I don't think I've seen one here since the spring. But then my outings have been limited due to knee surgery recuperation, but that's doing very well. Migration is well under way here and see and hear migrants in the trees regularly. Its totally amazing how a bird can find the one leaf on the tree that will block your view of them.

Popular Posts