Day 2...Gardening

Forgetting to snap a pic before I actually started working in the lower garden bed, I thought this one would explain what I was up against.

This year I didn't save any of the seed pods on these spent Siberian Iris.  I have so many now...so very many... and, of course, they keeping multiplying.

Have you ever tried to separate Siberian Iris?  Holy moosepoops!!  The root system on these plants is INSANE!!  So, rather than separate the very happy White and Purple Siberians, I've just let them spread.  And spread they did!!  They love the sun and since the beds are about a 50/50 split with sun and shade, it's ideal for them.  They hoard the entire middle of the bed!

It took me about 4 hours on my knees using my huge clippers just to get through the Spent foliage.  Making my way to the side of the house, I finally met up with the Bee Balm, Coral Bells, Astilbe and Hosta, all shade plants.

The entire time I worked in the garden bed Livy was right behind me.  She's my helper.  Well, she thinks she's my helper.  You probably can't see the earthworm that Livy is protecting me from...LOL...but there's one there.

Anyway, the morning passed and when I looked at my watch, I couldn't wait to go in and eat lunch.

Going in through the garage, I removed my boots, gloves, buttoned shirt and pants before I went into the house.  I was covered in dirt from head to toe.

Now all I have left are the Black-Eyed Susans, the Solomon's Seal, a few Lillies and then I can tackle the upper bed.  A few plants need to be dug up and moved into the sun where they belong.  The birds gobble up the spent seeds from the plants in the sun, then poop them out on the shady side...LOL!  Then new plants emerge in the shade.

One morning while looking out the LR window toward the garden bed, a thought came to mind.  Why redesigning the upper bed so it will accentuate the Montauk Daisy? 

I guess re-working is more appropriate.  So as I looked at the upper bed from inside, I'd try extending the stonewall, encompassing the Montauk.  Here it is September and it's loaded with buds.  This time of the year when everything is spent, it really makes things come alive when it blooms.

Concerned because we got so much rain this year, that it wouldn't bloom or produce a lot less blooms, right now it appears that will have quite a few.  The increase in our rainfall literally decreased the blooming of the Sweet Autumn Clematis tremendously.

Anyway after telling the Pres what I thought, he agreed.  That very morning, after Livy and I walked,  I went out to our "rock pile", dug a trench in front of the Montauk and began laying the foundation.  The Pres finished it off, then added some extra soil before I planted 4 different pieces of ground cover for added interest since it blooms so late in the year.

Now the small extension on the upper stonewall encompasses and accentuates the Montauk Daisy.  The Autumn Joy Sedum, a few Echinacea (pink and white), Moonbeam and Balloon Flowers are next to it.

On the slope, below the daisy, I planted more Echinacea and a few Lupines.  They do so well in this location.  Once the Lupines are past blooming, the Echinacea show off, then the annuals sort of take center stage.

This year it was definitely the Coleus....definitely the little stubby Coleus that grew into giants!

seeing, saying, and sharing...

Day 2...Gardening 





Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
Oh my goodness, didn't you get sore? What a huge and diverse job!!!

Popular Posts