Summer Activities

Yes, that is Katniss.  I have one of those window pads that secures to the window with suction cups...had to for years.  When I first put it up, she wouldn't go near the thing, so I "tucked it away" in the Utility Room.

Last year, when I got Livy, I came across it and thought I'd give it another try.  Well, as you can see, she loves it and can usually be found either there or sleeping in front of the DR slider where she has yet another bed.

Unfortunately this photo doesn't really show you what the problem is/was that particular day.  One of the suction cups which secures at the top upper left (behind curtain) had come loose and fallen.  When Livy and I walked into the room, she was sleeping downhill and could have cared less!!

Moving on to the next topic...Irises.  This Summer (at some point), I'm planning of digging up all my Irises and moving them to a new location.  The reason is simple.  Ferns have invaded my garden bed crowding out all my Siberians!!

Quite honestly, I dread doing the project although I know it has to be done.  A good chunk of my reluctance is because of creating a new bed...UGH!

That means digging out existing sod, preparing and amending soil, then replanting.  Of course, the President will be involved with building the frame.

We definitely have to wait until this heat is gone though!

Oh, speaking of heat reminds me of vacation.  Livy and I are packing up our things and going to babysit my grand-dog, Harley Jean for a week!  We always have such fun when we stay with her.  Livy weighs just shy of 30 lbs; Harley weighs about 70 so it's really quite comical.

The Eastern Bluebirds were plentiful this year. All our boxes were occupied at some point by a nesting pair.  So now, I have Bluebirds galore eating all the moths and bugs!

The photo is not the best because I took it from inside the DR slider but I couldn't resist.  The male was showing one of his newly fledged offspring where to perch.  What I found so adorable was, right after I took this shot the male flew off toward the woods for a snack.  The "little guy" took off after Dad, but couldn't quite make it that far.  It tried to land on the next tall thing which was unfortunately blades of zebra grass and ended up on the ground.  Flapping, it gained some elevation and made it to a branch on the butterfly bush next to the grass!  

You know, I never really paid much attention to avian behavior until I became involved with Eagles.  Sure, I grew up around horses, Angus, capons, chickens and of course, dogs and cats but never paid much attention to birds.

Honestly I have to thank living in Virginia for spurring my interest in birds.  But you all know that so I won't bore you.  Last night around 6:30 pm, Livy and I took a ride to check on the goings on at two of the Osprey nests I'm monitoring this year.

At one nest, I watched two of the three juveniles hanging out watching and waiting for more food to be brought in by the male, after all the sun hadn't yet set.
However, at another nest only about a mile away, I saw something even more interesting. Two of the juveniles were at the far end of the nest, hunkered down while the third juvie was perched not far from the rim...because there was an adult Bald Eagle eating their fish!

Now lets bear in mind:

that a nesting pair of Bald Eagles often plagues this pair of Osprey during their nesting season (Mar-Sept) because they are less than a mile away;

that even though there were three juvies, they would be no match for an adult Bald so the Eagle remained unchallenged;

that the adult Osprey were not in the immediate vicinity to "take on" the intruder;

that Bald Eagles are shall we say, "opportunistic" and more than likely witnessed the dropping of fish and thought, okay, it's a free meal.


It may be crass (or perhaps sound just downright mean) but we have to take the good with the bad, which brings me to my last topic.

I still cannot figure out who or what is eating my Cone Flower petals!!  One of my readers (Ginny) thought that perhaps it could be deer.  However, I have neither "deer poop" or hoof prints in my yard.

The Pres keeps telling me it's slugs.


seeing, saying, and sharing... 

Summer Activities



 




Comments

What a nice Sunday blog to read especially about the our favorite birds, the Bluebirds and the Ospreys. Once you start seeing birds and their behavior your life is never the same :-). We have (had) coneflowers in parts of our garden and watched the baby rabbits devour them. They bite the stem to get them down to the ground and then eat the whole thing. Oddly they don't eat the ones in the front of the house so we let them have at them. Enjoy your gardening fun!
Ginny Hartzler said…
Slugs, that is an interesting idea! I'm also thinking groundhogs. I live in Virginia as well, and we have lots of them in the yard. I am thinking that Bald Eagles are for sure a bit larger than Ospreys, what a sight that would have been!

Popular Posts