Routine Snacks

If I'm not mistaken, the last time I wrote you, I told you I would talk about Katniss in my next post.  Well, I meant what I said so here goes....

Quite honestly I don't know how this evolved into our every morning daily routine, but it did.  Ever since Katniss was old enough to have kitty snacks, I've given her chicken-something-or-others as a treat.  Now grant you once she got older, she got a few more however, since she wants to keep her "girlish figure", we don't over indulge.

Downstairs our utility room is pretty much used for storage and down there I have Katniss' old climbing tunnel which she never used when it was upstairs.  I have no idea why.  You'd have to ask her but the only place she wanted to play in it was downstairs.

Every morning, after I get up, I take 8 little snacks out and strategically place 5 inside and on top of her climbing tunnel.  I put down her breakfast and fresh water and head up the stairs with Livy close behind because she also wants breakfast.

Upstairs is where I keep Katniss' kitty carrier.  It has become a permanent fixture...on my granite divider.  While it may seem out of place, quirky or tacky to some, for us, it works.  So, there it stays.  It's convenient.  Case closed.

Yet what is really interesting is that ever since I began this little routine, Katniss loves the fact that it has become....drum roll please... Katniss' Snack Shack!

When she goes to the Vet, she gets a snack in her Snack Shack.  When I cut her nails, she gets a snack in her Snack Shack.  The name seemed to stick, so...

Remember the 5 treats I put out for her downstairs, well I take the last 2 or 3 and place them way in the back of her Snack Shack as soon as I come up the stairs.

Meanwhile I move on to preparing Livy's breakfast.  My coffee is last.  

While I'm making Livy's meal, I talk out loud to Kat, telling her to go get her snacks from the snack shack...(say that 5 times fast)!  Go ahead..."Katniss get the snacks from the Kat Snack Shack"

She has to be careful though because Livy is more interested in Katniss than how I'm preparing her breakfast.  And, lets face it there's nothing more exciting and fun than a dog and cat chasing each other!!

Eventually (usually when I call Livy over to lick the spoon I used in her food), Katniss will slink over to the divider, jump on the end table on the other side and just wait...ever so patiently for you know who to go downstairs and eat her breakfast while Mom has her coffee....ahhhhh, yes...my coffee!

In case you can't imagine what happens when Livy and I head downstairs....


seeing, saying, sharing...

Routine Snacks


Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
I love the story of your mornings, what a fun routine!
That does sound like a really good routine for all of you!

Popular Posts