More Opportunities

Following up on a lead sent to me this past Fall, I decided that Livy and I would take a ride to investigate at the beginning of Bald Eagle nesting season.   Since here in CT, that runs from mid-Feb thru end of March, it was still cold.   

Someone had told me that they'd seen Eagles throughout the Spring/Summer last year at this particular sight.  I will say that I was a bit surprised as I watched Mother Nature open yet another peek into her way of life.

Upon arrival, I pulled my car over on the narrow, windy road, told Livy to "wait" and got out of the car.  Now I had to walk to the small secluded pond where "the eagle nest" was located....in the far right corner right at the edge of the pond.

Leaving Livy in the car, I grabbed my camera and began walking through the brush that surrounded the pond.  I didn't walk that far, when I saw a large bird perched not far from the nest.  It was definitely an eagle.  However, it was not a mature (5 yr) bird.  It's plumage told me it was probably a 3 1/2 year old bird.  


Rather than focusing on me and looking in my direction, it remained fixated on the two Blue Herons to the left.  They sat nervously anticipating any movement from the large raptor...reluctant to move.

I continued to watch the immature patiently take in every movement of the herons but now from the comfort (and warmth) of my car.  And then it hit me like a tons of bricks!!

That's NO Eagle's nest...that's a Blue Heron nest!!!

Being that Eagles are opportunistic, it was more than likely waiting for the herons to catch a fish or eel from the pond that it could steal!!  For me, it was time well spent...observing Nature and the opportunities that await.

Still seeing, saying, sharing....
 
More Opportunities



 

Comments

What a wonderful session you had. And what an opportunistic bird that was. Nature never fails to impress us if we open our eyes and minds, as you did.
ERin
Ginny Hartzler said…
Wow, it must have been huge! I hope you got pics of it! Maybe there were chicks in there, or maybe too early still.
Such a wonderful sight to see, such lovely creatures they are!
Even if you didn't get to spot an eagle's nest, JP, seeing a heron's nest seemed like a good find.

Popular Posts