Working Hands

Preparing to do a little Spring clean-up around the yard, I asked the Pres to be sure the birds nesting boxes were all cleaned out and ready for this year's occupants since I'd seen them "shopping" recently.  Even though it's just begun to warm up here, the Eastern Phoebes are back and I've seen the Easern Bluebirds for a while as well as the House Finches too.

So bottom line is that he went his way and I went mine.  To tell you the truth, I was very surprised when I found him in his garage working on something.  He did have a list to Spring tasks though...I'll give you that:  tune-ups on his mower, my mower (Lucy June), and the ATV as well as rearrange all the "toys" (mowers, ATV, snowblower) so the mowers were easily accessible; cut the remaining oriental grasses that we leave up in the Winter months for the birds; fix one of the fence gates; and of course, clean out all the nesting boxes.

So I began digging holes with my favorite shovel (my Root Assassin) along the upper stonewall to plant a few daffodils that the Pres brought me home from the farm...forty two six inch pots with 3-5 daffs!!  

Quite honestly I lost track of time, with all the digging and planting.   When I did realize that the Pres was no where to be seen, I thought I'd better go check on him.

Walking around the front side of his garage, the large bay door was open that there he was...working away.

ME:  Honey, what are you doing?

THE PRES: Building a new nesting box for the bluebirds.  When I went to empty it, I saw how dilapidated it was getting, so I took it down, took it apart and used it as a pattern for a new one.  I had the cedar here in the garage, so why not, right?

ME:  WOW!  That's awesome...they're going to love it.  I just some shopping for new homes here in the yard yesterday.

ME:  You know they have to have a specific size hole for their entrance, right?

THE PRES:  Well, you go look it up and then I'll cut it when you get back.

ME:  Hon, the hole is 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  Supposedly that will prevent European Starlings from moving into it when they're out house shopping.  




still seeing, saying, sharing...

WORKING HANDS

One more thing....Anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the Carolina Wrens from pushing out the Eastern Bluebirds from their boxes?

Comments

It's wonderful that the birdies are getting some new housing!
Ann said…
Cool, new construction in the neighborhood is always nice.
The Pres did a nice job. Just wondering if the rent sill go up with the new housešŸ˜‰and sorry but I di ‘t know how to prevent bird squatters from invading,JP.

Popular Posts