I Got This...

Now that we're well into Bald Eagle nesting season up here,  a while back I needed to dust off the spotting scope, dig out the tripod and refresh my memory with how to use all the buttons, gizmos and dials.  

Setting it up in the dining room, I decided that I'd take this shot through the glass slider no less...LOL!

Of course, as you can see,  it was before I was able to get the iPhone's camera properly lined up with the "gucci" (the attachment I use that connects the phone to the scope/binoculars/monocular).

Calling the Pres over to give me a hand, when I took this one, he said, "That's good enough.  At least you can see the bird."

Nope..not for me.  Refusing to give up, I kept trying.  I wanted to get it right at home, so once I got to the nest, I wouldn't have to freeze my fingers off messing with dials and adjustments.


What's really cool is that while the scope is only a 20-40-60 power, the focus and zoom are used on the scope, the zoom on the phone can also be used once attached to the eyepiece.  However, I still carry one camera with me...just in case. And this particular morning, it came in handy.

It was the craziest morning at the nest.  All was calm at the nest...adult sitting facing East, when I arrived.   Yet before I could get anything set up, the Eagle sitting on eggs sounded began chittering like crazy.  I knew it wasn't because I was there as I'm 263 yds away and they're used to seeing me.  Anyway...

The next thing a huge bird flew in from the East...a dark bodied, white head and tail bird!  I knew that it was an intruder based on the behavior of the nesting adult.  Landing in the trees at the far West end of the pond, it sat.  Meanwhile he bird (male) in the nest was not happy nor was the female, who flew in sounding the "ALERT" with talons barred heading for the perched intruder.

The resident female sounded the "ALERT" again and headed toward the perched intruder.  Circling the pond twice in hot pursuit, she chased it off immediately.

While she was chasing the intruder, the Eagle on eggs had stood up, and was perched on an adjacent branch ready to help if need be.  My biggest concern was the fact it was OFF THE EGGS in such cold temps!!  Supposedly Bald Eagles know how long they can be off their eggs based on the air temperature.  I have witnessed this before and the eggs remained viable.  But, being the worry-wort that I am, I was still concerned, anxiously watching the clock.


Once the female chased the intruder out of the nesting territory, she returned victorious.  As she flew in toward the nest, I saw the male move to the right,  perching nearby...just in case, I imagine.



still seeing, saying, sharing...

I GOT THIS


Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
Lots of drama! So is this a large telescope? I was just given a large one, worth a few hundred dollars. It came with a large book and is so complicated that I am very intimidated and have not used it yet. So many levers and dials!
It is just so darn cool that you have that many so close. That would be quite the rare sighting around here.
Aren't spotting scopes wonderful? I don't have a way to attach a camera to mine as I've never bothered with that. I lucked up and got a used Swarovski for a very good price and I love that thing. Just got a new carbon fiber tripod too which reduced the weight by a whole bunch. My birding mentor had a Swarovski so I was kinda spoiled to begin with and never figured I'd have my own.
Ann said…
Well that must have been exciting to watch
Glad to read that the intruder was thwarted and didn’t know that eagles knew how long eggs in a nest could be left unattended.

Popular Posts