Walks of Life

Heading out for what I thought was going to be a routine morning Liv and I wandered along the river's Eastern shore just like always. Our first destination is always to head South in the direction of the coves on the West bank.  That's where we often see the  Blue Heron.  Livy can spot "Blue" (even if it's long before daybreak) and once she does, she automatically sits and stares in it's direction.  The Heron eventually takes flight and heads up river as we stand motionless near the shoreline watching it fly low over the water until it elevates slightly and lands in a tree on the West bank.  Then we head in the direction of the gun range and take our walk in the woods for about a mile or so.  The whole time I am listening (and looking) for the nesting pair of Eagles.  That particular morning was uneventful with the exception of the one Merganser enjoying the open water and the beautiful reflections all around us.


However, since it was still early, we headed for a walk at a trail about 7 miles away...a trail more inhabited by humans.  I like to expose Livy to all different walks of life.  By that I mean various situations...people with other dogs of course but also people riding bikes, using walkers, adults with their children, and the elderly to name a few.

We parked in our regular spot and headed toward the paved walkway, which also happens to run along a river before it intersects with a wooded but well worn trail.  Just as we went under the overpass, I heard an Eagle and immediately thought, No, you didn't hear one.  You're just hearing things because it's what I do so often.  Feeling the bright sunshine once we cleared the overpass, I heard the conversation.  It was steady and strong.  Sure enough I looked up over my right shoulder and there they were!


Snapping this with my cell, I listened for a bit, then turned my attention to Livy and our walk.  We only did about 1  1/2 miles out, then turned around and headed back.  Sure enough, one adult was still perched in the tree, leaving me to think that they may have a nest nearby.

Now it was time to head for home as it was nearly 10:00 am.


seeing, saying, sharing...

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
She is such a good dog! She does not bark at it or scare it away, just sits and stares. The gun range sounds kind of risky, is there any chance you could get shot? Or is it all enclosed and monitored...
That was an exciting ending to an already happy walk!
Ann said…
That picture of Livy just melts my heart. What an adorable face she has.
It’s great to have such a wonderful walking companion, JP.

Popular Posts