It's Just Life Science

It seems that I talk about the weather a lot but that's because I do.  I mean I always was interested in what the weather was going to be for the day so I could dress appropriately when I worked.  Then I retired and it was then that I discovered the weather is a life science.  Think about it.  It literally impacts everything...you, me, and every living creature.

Winds create thermals.  Thermals are made for soaring.  Of course, the direction of the wind plays a big part in it too as well as if the sun is shining.  You see, when the sun shines on the earth's uneven surfaces (grasslands, water, ridges, etc.), the heat is absorbed at different rates creating our daily wind cycles.

On one of our recent adventures, Livy and I came across these seagulls flying from the shore of the lake out toward the middle where the ice hadn't yet thawed.

It appeared as if they were walking on water yet it really was thin ice.

That day it was super windy so I didn't want to be close to any trees or in the woods for that matter.  That's "an accident waiting to happen" as my former boss used to say.



Even though it was windy, I wanted to take Livy up to the top of the "dam" so she could see everything from a different perspective.

Let me tell you hiking up there was not an issue because, as you can see, the trails are very well maintained.

However, once we were on the "dam" itself and the wind blew, I thought we were going to get blown away like Toto and Dorothy!!  Needless to say, we didn't stick around long up there and headed back down to lower elevations and much less wind.

So back to the "weather" and how it impacts everything and everyone, I usually opt to stay in on bad weather days and find something (like oatmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and of course golden raisins) to keep me busy.

Another interesting thing and then I'll let you go.  When Livy and I attended puppy school, our instructor suggested using a command called place, which simply meant wherever, whenever, you need your dog to stay out of the way, you tell them to place.  Mind you we were asked to bring in a small rug with us to use for what was to be demonstrated.

Quite honestly, when she taught us the command and we practiced it in the classroom, using the throw rug.  However, I never though I'd use it but participated with the exercise.   After all, come, sit, down, and stay were what I focused on.  Interesting though, one day as she was underfoot while I was in the kitchen, I told her to place.  She walked over to the throw rug in front of the DR slider and laid down!!

seeing, saying, sharing...still


Comments

It has been unusually warm here but we'll take it. Yep, weather sure impacts everything we do or would like to do but couldn't. That's a very smart pup to remember the place command!
Ann said…
I read a couple blogs who report on the weather every day. It's kind of nice to hear how it compares in different areas.
I have never heard of the command "place" That would be pretty useful. Of course I'm lucky that Gibbs will even listen to sit.
As the child of farmers, the weather was always of interest and was to be paid attention. Even now I rely on it to prepare for my day. I can't imagine not being interested in it. I've had one of those blow you off the dam days while birding so I know what you mean about hastening to lower ground!

Popular Posts