Nutshell News?

Although many of the details will be omitted, I can tell you this in a nutshell:

We are doing well and hope that you are too.  The Pres worked on and off for the past few months, which not only kept him busy but also gave him extra cash, which he loves!  Of course, some of the "runs" when driving truck meant getting up at 3:00 am, but he did it, often rolling in around dinner time with yet another truck loaded for the next morning.   He's always liked driving truck and making deliveries for these friends of his, let alone the fact that his mind is a virtual road map, so driving comes naturally to him.  In fact, before becoming a Lieutenant on the FD, he drove for one of the busiest Engine companies in the city where he worked.  Meanwhile while he worked, I "held down the fort" mowing every few days on Lucy June, weed eating, and took care of all the rest of the good stuff.  Then in March, because of and thanks to my BFFs, I found Livy and Livy found ME!

She is truly the dog I needed!

As for the Eagles' nests...it was a very successful season.  Of the four nests that I report on, only one  failed (after a chick had hatched mind you).  The second produced one successful fledgling; the third produced two successful fledglings as did the fourth!!  

While I'm still uncertain about just what happened at the failed nest, so many Bald Eagles have been moving into CT let alone this area, the experts say it could have been a "takeover."  However, I do KNOW for a fact that the female that laid/hatched the egg WAS NOT the same female that was then seen at the nest in weeks to follow when there was no sign of the chick.  To compound the issue, there was quite a bit of damage done to the nest where the chick was located a short time before.

Also, I will tell you that often times while I observed the Eagles, Livy napped.  After all a puppy needs a lot of sleep!!

And lets not forget about the Osprey.  Once again my two nests did not disappoint.  Both produced three successful fledglings this year...WOOT! WOOT! 

Then a surprise.  Thrown into the mix was a THIRD nest built not far from me.  Once again, the pair chose to build on a cell tower.  Yes, while I'll admit, once I found out about it, I thought about volunteering (you know "stepping to the plate" and all) but quite honestly I just couldn't.  

I already had a lot going on and I was feeling like I was on overload as it was.  And yes, I felt guilty for a long time, but hey, it is what it is.  So, a time passed, and although I did not monitor that nest, I was notified by someone who knew I did what I did that the nest was destroyed/taken down/removed, which, in case you're not aware, is AGAINST THE LAW during nesting season!  Yep, now I was really upset.  I passed on the information to the powers to be and was told it would be investigated by local authorities.  I hope the company who removed the nest was fined heavily...those #$%@&$#%# ers!!  

Yes, Livy was with me when I went to the Osprey nests too.  Sometimes we would walk and observe at the same time! 

Then on the home-front, in February, the Pres and I contracted a painter to freshen up the entire interior of the house.  Exciting...yes!  Challenging...YES!  Think about it...everything has to come off the walls, windows, be stored SOMEWHERE out of the way, furniture, rugs, etc.  So I did that too.  However, our painter was delayed in starting the job which didn't happen for a few months.  Living in a house that is not decorated makes life rather dull to tell you the truth...but I had Livy.   When it was completed the house looked great and then came the challenge to putting things back up and re-visiting just where things should be put.  It was like re-decorating all over again and I'm still not done because thrown into this mix of life...Livy, the rescue/adoption of my little Boxer Poodle!!

 

As if you can't tell already, we do just about everything together...along with Katniss when we're home.  I shower, and the two of them are waiting for me on the throw rugs when I step out!!  If I had my phone handy, one of these days I'll take a pic.  Sometimes Livy pushes Kat a little too far, if you know what I mean though.  The other day after several warning hisses, Kat just wheeled around and swiped...got Livy right on the butt...took out a few strands of hair too! 

Devoting most of my time to Livy is an understatement...we walk every morning and will again once the heat wave is over.   We attended puppy school (and graduated.  The instructor told me that Livy and I work well together and were meant for each other.  (I think she may have been referring to our energy.)  We went on road trips.  We went to stay on the beach with my BFF's and their two dogs.  We babysat for Harley Jean for a few days too.  We took care of my daughter's cat while they were away.  We went to the dog park.  We went to the Vet.  We got Livy spayed and micro chipped in June, so we took our time during recovery and limited activities.  A good blogger friend asked me if I'd taken her kayaking yet.  The answer is no, not yet.  First a good life vest, then a slow introduction to my kayak and then we'll hit the water when all the Summer warriors have returned to school and work.  

Anyway, I know this post was long but hey, LIFE's ADVENTURES HAVE TO COME FIRST!!

Talk soon...later


 

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
It's been awhile, good to see you! Now I want to know the story of how you found Livy! What wonderful news!
YOu sure have been busy and Livy looks like such a sweetie. It's very cool to have so many nests around.
Ann said…
Sounds like you and the Pres are very busy. So glad everything is going well.
MadSnapper said…
I am happy to see your report pop up and that all is goind well, this is a lot you have done in a short time, not the post, the story in the post. jumping for joy over you finding your Livy Soulmate. Life is so much better with pets and now you have TWO to watch you shower...sorry about the nest taken down.
You've been a busy girl and I'm happy to see it. Take care.
Oh My JP, I am SO late in reading and catching up on blog posts but so ha[[y to find this update, even if much later. Livy is very sweet, just like Katniss, and certainly it shows how devoted you are to one another. Glad that the Pres early days of getting up and driving may have ended, as I wasn't sure from the post. yeah for getting the interior painted and yes it is like redecorating when it comes time to put things back. Maybe you even decided a few did not need to go back!

All is well here in NH and we just returned from a week and a half of visiting family in NJ and PA and are now talking about a possible trip to CT this month. Oct. Just maybe, if timing and schedules worked out we could re-visit you again as the visit many years ago was such fun that we still talk about it !

Popular Posts