The Wannabe...A Story


Monday morning (01/03/22), what should have been a normal quiet morning for us, wasn't.  Waking up at 4:40 am, I got up, made my bed, and opened my bedroom door expecting to see and be greeted by Katniss.  Being allergic to her, I don't let her sleep with me but I can always count on her to outside my door in the morning.

But she wasn't there.  Weird.

Heading into the office where she often can be found sleeping in the closet, I was surprised.  No Katniss.  Odd.

My next stop was the bathroom.  Opening the linen closet, thinking that I could have locked her int here the night before, no Katniss.  Strange.

Searching in her favorite spot in the Utility Room, again...no Katniss.  Noticing that she hadn't used her litter box overnight made me even more concerned.

Whispering her name so as not to disturb the Pres, I made my way upstairs and looked in all her favorite spots.  No Katniss.  Not on the back of the chair, not on the DR chairs...no Katniss.

Now I was beginning to get nervous.  What if the Pres accidentally let her out when he went out into the garage to get is late night snack (either Snicker Ice Cream Bars or three Fun Size Snickers Bars), and didn't see her sneak out??  Opening the pass door, I again called her name.  Nothing.  No gentle, soft-spoken meow.  No Katniss.

By this time I was really wondering where the cat that always greets me in the morning, wanting a kiss on the nose and a pat on the "bum-bum" as she stretches, could be.  Panic began to set in as I revisited all her spots downstairs.  Still NO Katniss.  

Walking toward the bathroom, I checked the linen closet, hoping.  But nothing.


Suddenly, there she was, walking slowly out of a storage area under the stairwell accessed through the Laundry Room (a place I had not looked).  Acting strangely, she immediately turned around, hunkered down facing the wicker storage chest rather than greeting me.  Very strange.

"Oh, is there a bug under there?  YOU are such a good girl!  YOU are the best bug killer, Katniss.  Don't worry Mommy will get it",  I said her her. (She is THE BEST bug killer ever!!) Moving the right hand corner of the chest toward me, she immediately scooted between the chest and the wall.  Then I moved the left side of the chest.

Nope!  No spider.  No barely alive Lady bug.  No moth.  However, there was a little furry, gray behind with a tail that went further under the chest, disappearing all together.  Katniss didn't budge.  She fixed her gaze on that "Topo-Gigio" wannabe and wouldn't leave the room while I proceeded to empty the room as fast as I could, stacking items up on top of the washer and dryer.

Three hours later when the Pres woke up, I told him there was a mouse in the house (our first in 10 years).  He kept saying "No way.  There's no where that they can get in," until he finally came downstairs carrying my walking stick (LMAO!!!!).

ME:  Hon, do you REALLY think you can get it with that stick?  They're fast!  

Then I heard BANG, BANG, THUMP, THUMP and finally he spoke.

HIM:  Go get a trap from the garage,  I can't catch it. It's too fast.

After placing a few sticky traps and baiting two spring-loaded traps with the Pres' favorite hard cheese, we shut the Laundry Room door, blocked the small space under the door and waited.

Once we did that, Katniss seemed to relax.  Jumping up on my bed, she curled up and slept all day.  And I let her!  After all, my little girl was up all night watching and cornering that Topo Gigio wannbe.  She never ate.  She never used the bathroom.  SHE IS A HERO!  And had she gotten that rascal, it wouldn't stand a chance against my 22 toed girl!

seeing, saying, sharing...

The Wannabe...A Story

 Brian's Thankful Thursday


Comments

MadSnapper said…
good girl, Katniss, you protected the house all night long. I was so afraid while reading to the bottom of the story and so happy you were not outside by accident. i was freaking out for you just like I was there.
Ann said…
Excellent job Katniss. Next time she needs to give a little call to you though when she hears you get up so that you know where she's at.
Such a sweetie, she spent the night protecting you from the predator!
Sandee said…
What a wonderful protector you are. Purrfect.

Hope you had a purrfect Thankful Thursday.

Have day and weekend. ♥
Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Popular Posts