Feels Like

Braving the frigid temperatures and the 8-10 mph NW wind, the members of my group met for our statewide Eagle Survey.  At 6:45 a team member and I met in a parking lot not far from our first designated Eagle location.  According to my cell phone, the feels like temp was 2 degrees and we were right on the water's edge standing in the 11 1/2" snowfall that we got the day before.  

Freezing, we spent 45 minutes there and saw NO Eagles....hawks yes, Eagles NO. 

Heading to the next location (the river I frequent), the plan was to hook up with two more team members who also had arrived at 6:45 am.  They did see ONE ADULT head down river at 7:11 am (long before Sue and I arrived).  The four of us didn't walk terribly far along the river because of the deep snow and left heading to our third location...the dam.

Checking the wind speed, direction and temperature at every location, it was holding steady at the 8-10 mph range making the 10-13 degree temps feel much colder.  The feels like was still showing 2 degrees although at the much higher elevation and being in the shade, it felt much colder than at the river.

Wishing I had remembered my Chap-stick, my toes were beginning to feel cold because like a ding-dong, I forgot my hand and toe warmers!  Anyway, we saw NOTHING.  In the past, we have often seen a pair soaring but not on Saturday.

Our next two stops...one being the nest I monitor...were also duds.  There was no sign of the pair at the nest.  Apparently they were out for the morning!

Turning on the Data Sheets and reporting our numbers, I asked Boss how everyone else did.  Other than him, there was not much success this year, although our immediate area saw a total of 20 adults and 9 juveniles.   Now, after all these years of jotting down my thoughts and adventures, you should already know what's going through my mind...

Where were they? And WHY?

seeing, saying sharing...

Feels Like

Natures Notes 2 

   Welcome To My World


Comments

Ann said…
With temps that cold maybe they were buried in their nests keeping warm. :)
Maybe the took a spa day somewhere!
Ginny Hartzler said…
They must have been hunkering down somewhere to shelter from the cold. It sounds brutal!!
Yvonne said…
What determination you have. That certainly was excitingly cold.
Villrose said…
Brrrr. A cold pleasure, I presume.
That's dedicated bird counting. - Margy
betty-NZ said…
Wow, I haven't seen snow like that since I lived outside Chicago!

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!
Rambling Woods said…
My sister is outside of Richmond and was without power for 4 days and also water.....Sorry you didn't see them.....

Popular Posts