What In The World?

Walking, once again, in the riverbed, I headed towards the nest vicinity, knowing the eagles were not home.

Always watching my step because of the protruding sticks, and rocks, I spotted this huge clam shell with a hole in it.  It wasn't the only one. Scattered all around the exposed riverbed...something I never thought would be there.

I mean seriously, look at the size of it!!

Until I searched for more information when I got home, I had no idea that it is in fact, a "fresh water mussel."  The eastern pearl-shell is found in "streams and small rivers that support trout and/or salmon populations."
 

seeing, saying, sharing...

What In The World?

Natures Notes 2  

Comments

Ann said…
Interesting. I never would have known what that was.
Ginny Hartzler said…
Did they all have holes in them? Why?

Popular Posts