The Way In

Once I hit "land", I followed a well-worn deer trail through the woods almost right to the nesting tree.  In fact, at the base of the nesting tree, there were quite a few pieces of deer fur.   I wondered "why"?  Then it dawned on me, it's very possible that the eagles brought back a piece of a carcass that they found in the woods...a deer that couldn't be found by the hunters.

Standing under the nest, which is about 100' up in a white pine, I would say it  measured about 40" across at the base and is conical shaped making it wider at the top.  Looking for "residue" on the branches and ground, I discovered an area covered in "whitewash" (the chalky white mutes).  Eagle shoot their poop out over the edge of their nest so it stays nice and clean.  They also freshen it with fresh pine sprigs. 

So, once the river returns to it's normal depth and the coves fill up, the way to this nest will be via water, then tie off and hike in, respecting the 110 yd buffer.

seeing, saying, sharing...

The Way In

Wild Bird Wednesday  

The Bird D'Pot 




 

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
You find the coolest, most interesting things. And you have the mind of a detective as well.
They are quite the efficient builders!
Ann said…
Interesting about their nests.
Hootin Anni said…
Extraordinary!!
Thanks for your visit this week. And thanks for linking in...sorry I'm so late. Holiday prep is keeping me busy.

~Anni at I'd Rather B Birdin'

Popular Posts