The Discovery


Telling my friend from the Club that if he found the dead trees, he would find the nest proved to be true.  HE spotted what he believes was a nest and hoped to bring me in to confirm it.  However, knowing that he still works full-time, I decided to take a walk in on my own one afternoon.  Sure enough, after closing in on the dead trees and walking in concentric circles all while looking up in the surrounding trees, there it was.  And, even more interesting was the fact that the pair was not far away...chittering back and forth as I closed in on their very well hidden nest.  As soon as I saw them, I wasted no time and began my trek out of the woods so as not to make them nervous, disrupting any future plans for nesting.  After all, it took a lot of observing to hone in on this one so I certainly do not want to look for an alternate nest within their territory!

Right now, getting in is not bad other than climbing over all the downed trees that cross the deer trail, because of the drawdown.  However, once the flow of water returns to normal, there will only be two ways to get within 110 yds of the nest:  1/paddle in, tie off and walk through a virtual jungle of barberry OR 2/walk the railroad tracks up on the ridge and walk down, maintaining the required buffer.  Neither would be easy.

Since then, he and I have been putting our heads together and since this is the FIRST Eagle nesting season he will witness, I told him I would offer any assistance I could. reaffirming that he must maintain the 100yd buffer from both their nest and their favorite perch tree.  Telling me the other morning, "You were right after all.  You always told me if I found those trees, I would find the nest." 

He is an avid birder and is so looking forward to finally getting the chance to observe a nest.  

seeing, saying, sharing...

The Discovery

Wild Bird Wednesday

The Bird D'Pot

Comments

Ann said…
How fun for him witnessing his first nesting season and for you being there to experience it with him.
That really is always a special find!

Popular Posts