The Drawn Out Drawdown (Part 3)


It had been four days since I went down to the river to see what was going on with the flow of the water.  When I saw that river was still extremely low and with it's exposed banks drying for weeks, I decided that it might be a good morning to hike in, cross Cove B in it's entirety (where the old road bordered by stonewalls was) and hike into the woods.  I might be able to find the area where I heard the young Eagle crying for food.  

Cove B









It was a little humid and with the sun out full blast so I ignored (and completely ruled out) the local weather forecast of possible thunderstorms.  However, I left my hooded jacket on and knew that wearing my orange vest was a must since it is hunting season.  Grabbing my phone, and my camera I began my trek.  

 Obstacle
The exposed shoreline was pretty solid and my footprints could hardly be seen so walking was easy compared to sinking in the soggy earth for the past few weeks.  There ahead of me were quite a few downed trees that had to be traversed but feeling strong I knew they wouldn't be a problem to continued onward, focusing on the two dead trees in the distance.  Because I was focusing on the ground and where I was walking, suddenly when I looked up, I could no longer see my two dead trees.



More Hurdles

It was only about 2 miles in to the back edge of the cove and when I stepped up onto the bank. Following a narrow deer trail...I entered the woods, encountering more downed trees.  No problem I thought balancing on my left leg, flinging my right leg up and over the tree trunks.  However, when I looked up, my two trees were gone...hidden by the tall, full deciduous trees and the immense white pines towering around me.

Once I lost sight of the two trees, I figured I might as well turn around and head out because I had to pee and was now starving.  Remember all this was done with only a cup of coffee and water!

Still Missing

I had found nothing and since I was getting hungry for breakfast, I headed back out.  When I heard what sounded like a freight train in the distance behind me, I turned to look over my right shoulder and saw the darkening sky and trees blowing in the wind.  Yikes, here comes a thunderstorm...I'd better move quickly.  I was at the far edge of cove which meant I still had to cross the cove and walk along the riverbank to get to the club property when the rain started.

Concerned more about protecting my camera from the rain, I unzipped my orange vest, leaned forward slightly and slipped the camera underneath.  Meanwhile I picked on a sturdy stick to use for balance when I had to climb over the downed trees.  When I got to the dock and saw my car, I was relieved.  Leaning the walking stick against an old oak, thinking that someone else may find it useful as useful as I did, I was anxious to get to my car.

Hitting the unlock button on the key fob, I immediately put the camera in.  Then I removed my hood and weathered green cap, throwing it on the passenger seat next to the camera.  Reaching in the front pocket of my orange vest for my phone, I found nothing.  I searched the other front pocket.  Nothing. Looking my the pockets of my pants, I also found nothing.  Removing the vest and checking the pockets of my pullover, I again found no phone.  Where was it?

Shaking my head in disgust, I realized I must have dropped it and had to go look for it.  Waiting for the rain to stop, I picked up the stick I'd used and began my walk.  I thought that following my footsteps out would be a good idea but I couldn't find them.  Apparently the 'barely there" footprints were wiped out by the small downpour.

Hungry, and wondering how far in I would have to go, I hoped I would find it.  Then in the distance, I saw it right before the first downed tree...right where the downpour began and I tucked my camera into my vest for protection.  Dirty and a little wet, I figured that it must have fallen out of my pocket when I leaned over to tuck the camera under my vest.

seeing, saying, sharing...

The Drawn Out Drawdown

Nature Notes 2

Shadow Shot Sunday


One more thing.  While finding my phone was GREAT, I cannot help but wonder what impact having the river this low for so long will have on all the wildlife that depend on it.  What impact will the delay in repairs have on the ecosystem?


Comments

MadSnapper said…
so glad you found the phone and also that you did not get lost in the forest and in a thunderstorm and were able to find you car.
Ann said…
That was lucky finding the phone so easily. I doubt my luck would have been that good.
Oh, I'm glad you found your phone! That is so scary when we lose something. I've started carrying a small backpack to put everything inside or hooked on, like my whistle. It helps me to know I have everything for a hike and only need to add a couple of things and I'm ready to go. I'm So happy you are back online! WHEW! It's been a crazy year! take care! Love your photos and your blog! Hugs, Diane
Debbie said…
I am having a terrible time with my computer, nothing is working well!! I am posting with my phone, I hope this works!! Good that you found your phone, we really need to have them close by!!
Ginny Hartzler said…
Found you! Gosh, this sounds a bit dangerous! I am glad you got out without being injured!!
Shiju Sugunan said…
What an adventure! Brave of you to go back and find the lost phone in that weather. I was so happy to read how you left the stick for someone else to use and eventually used it yourself. I've noted your new blog address.
You have always amazed me with your love of nature and the outdoors, but I could never imagine doing what you did in this event. I pray you take caution, I'd be so damn sorry if there were a mishap.

Love your new blog name and dress!

Jane ❤️
Here I am. Found you. Drawdown aren't pretty while they are underway but in the long run they usually work well.
Visiting a river (I imagine) is hardly ever an exercise in disappointment.

Popular Posts