Raptor...ing


Continuing to gather a few things to take with me, I couldn't help but notice the beautiful hawk (Sharp-shined I think) perched on a branch in the sun near the edge of our woods on the East side of the house.  Soaking in the morning rays, it sat turning only it's head in all directions using it's outstanding eyesight to continue the search for food to satisfy it's carnivorous diet.

Telling the Pres to come see it, once he was standing next to me, all I could do was use my head to point in it's direction, as my hands were busy cleaning up from breakfast.  

The Pres:  "Where?  Where?  I don't see it."

Me:  "Hon, it's sitting right there on the branch in the sun."

The Pres:  "What branch?  There's only a hundred or so out there!"

Laughing, because I knew he was right, I said:  "Do you see where the sun is hitting the trees?  Well, look on that branch!!"

The Pres:  "Oh, now I see it.  Geez,  it blends in with the branch for crying out loud.  How did you expect me to see it?"

Fall must be an active time for Hawks because I have seen so many around this year.  Of course, being surrounded by woods on three sides, helps, as this is their habitat.  Now that I think about it,  I have NEVER seen a pair of hawks, whether it be Coopers, Sharpies, Red-shouldered, or Goshawks, as I do Bald Eagles.   Being solitary, except when mating, during migration (which lasts through November) many can be seen together.  Perhaps the reduced number of daylight hours for hunting and prey readily available is the answer.

Swooping down on their prey with their fierce talons, their hooked beaks tear into their prey and while many of us who feed the backyard birds don't want them around our feeders, they are useful to have around.  In fact, just the other day, one flew in front of my car landing on some type of rodent in the tall grasses on the edge of the road.




seeing, saying, sharing...

Raptor...ing

The Bird D'Pot

Wild Bird Wednesday

Comments

Ginny Hartzler said…
You have the best eyes! Great shots of this hungry sunbather.
Ann said…
I'm laughing at your conversation with the Pres. I would be wondering what branch too...lol Like Ginny said you've got the best eyes.
Hootin Anni said…
This narration with the two of you sounds like here!! Another thing if Bud sees a special bird he sometimes uses degrees..."20 degrees"...I say "what"?

Beautiful captures, absolutely beautiful!!

Thanks for linking in with us.

~Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin'.

Popular Posts