Who Knew?

Ever since the drawdown, I thought I was seeing White Egrets along the exposed shoreline eating the fish.  In fact last week I thought I saw three Egrets hanging out with the Great Blue.  Boy, was I WRONG!!

After speaking with "John", a very good friend who knows just about everything you could want to know about Nature and the Club, I learned about another bird.  He totally straightened me out.

ME:  "Hey, I've been seeing Egrets down at the Club.  Have you seen them?"

HIM:  "Those are not Egrets you're seeing.  Those are WHITE HERONS.  Google them when you get home.  You'll see."

Of course, you know I did, right?  Well, Holy Moosepoops...I'll be darn!  Great White Herons can be identified because they have the largest,heaviest bills which are unmistakably hefty and yellow compared to the slimmer billed Great White Egret.  I went on to read about the manner of movement, their feeding techniques and posture also aid in identification.

seeing, saying, and sharing...

Who Knew?

Wild Bird Wednesday

The Bird D'Pot

Comments

Popular Posts