Ghosts of the Forest

When I first saw it, I thought it was a cherry tomato on the ground.  Once I thought about it and saw it's surroundings, I realized it was a mushroom.  Continuing to walk my normal route, I gazed at the adult Eagle flying overhead heading toward the upper Cove and in the same direction as always.  Yet it was on my way back to my car after it had started to rain that I spotted the Ghost Pipe (Indian Pipe) near the path.  When I got down on my knees to examine it closer, I noticed another patch of it nearby.

Monotropa uniflora does have a stem, scales (rather than leaves) and a single flower and can used for medicinal purposes (as it was by Native Americans), although it is edible and supposedly tastes like asparagus.

Then I wondered if we had any growing on our property.  Hmmmm...I'll have to explore one of these days.


seeing, saying, sharing...

Ghosts of the Forest

with


Comments

Popular Posts