Down With The Beetles


Landing on the old wooden fence surrounding my lower flower bed, I hoped that the Catbird was there for good reason.  There are numerous "ground birds" that help us gardeners out.  The Catbird is one.

Landing in an opening at the front of the bed, he hopped over toward the not yet blooming Echinacea, a Summer favorite which has now spread to both the upper and lower bed.  Plucking a plump Japanese beetle from the foliage, he then took flight.  It happened quickly but I didn't care.  One less beetle is all good.
          
The day after I saw this happen I asked the Pres to come outside and help me with a few things that I couldn't manage on my own.  Walking by a cluster of ornamental grasses, he said, "Look.  I see four just right here.  I'll be right back.  I'm going to Home Depot to pick up bags, lures, and traps."

We put up five that day.  

Then I told the Pres that there were several species of birds that eat Japanese Beetles...Robins, Cardinals, Catbirds, Purple Martins and Barn Swallows to name a few.  

We've never seen Barn Swallows at our place although we are only 3/4 mile from the river where they love to hang out.  However, this year, for the first time in 10 years, I've been seeing Swallows every day.  I think Mother Nature sent them to help us fight the battle of beetles!

seeing, saying, sharing...

Down With The Beetles!





Comments

Popular Posts