My Spoiled Plants


Sitting under the pergola in the shade this morning after I'd done some early morning weeding and watering, I intentionally faced our Butterfly Bush.  Like everyone and every living thing, this bush has a story too.

Buying it several years ago, we planted it according to the instructions, but it didn't do well.  It struggled.  And every year, after talking to many fellow gardeners, I would do what they recommended and every year the poor bush continued to struggle.

Barely making it each Summer, I tried cutting it back in the Fall and cutting it back in the early Spring.  

Last year, in the Fall, I asked the Pres if I could relocate it.  While you may think that it strange that I asked him, it wasn't.  He was mowing the lawn and does not like to "go around" things...which means "Sure you can move it as long as it's not in the way when I mow."




So, after watching the amount of sun and knowing the amount of natural moisture, and deciding on a spot, I began to dig...right outside the perimeter of the pergola...right out in the open.  Although I did need the Pres' help to dig out the bush, I was wondering if he was annoyed seeing the hole I'd already dug.  He never said a word.  

Meanwhile thinking that transplanting it would be enough of a shock for the bush, I left it alone and did no cutting.  All I did was water it faithfully. 

Although the blooms are just coming, and despite the Japanese Beetles who did their fair share of chewing, this year it nearly doubled in size!!




seeing, saying, and sharing...

My Spoiled Plants

with you and those at

Comments

Popular Posts