The "One"...A Story

Although I haven't told this story to many, I felt it was time to make it public.

As you know, I am currently monitoring two Osprey nests not far from my home.  The nest closest to me has had a bit of drama so far this season and although the pair of Osprey are on eggs now, it's time for me to tell you just what happened.

Last year, this nest was NOT monitored by anyone.  In fact, the organizations in charge of monitoring didn't even know it existed until I brought it to their attention.  Yes, they were excited and grateful to have it in their "count" and subsequently asked me to keep an eye on it for the remaining of the season.  

As the season progressed and the fledgling was old enough to learn to fish on it's own, I noticed and reported what I thought was a  dead Osprey in the nest.  Since the nest was located on top of a cell tower, I tracked down the owner and passed all information to those in charge of the project.  Weeks passed and no one came out to investigate so I did.   To make matters worse, as the weather became more and more inclement, eventually the dead bird along with the nest blew down to the second level of the cell tower.  Once again, I submitted pictures along with my notes to those in charge, highlighting the dead birds feathers and the debris from the nest that had been blown from the top of the tower due to their weightlessness.



The Osprey season came to a close.  The cell tower was now bare and Winter came and went.  Then in March, just like clock work, I, once again, spotted an Osprey in the vicinity of the cell tower and began to make regular visits.  

Based on the markings (or lack there of) around it's neck, I determined it was a male. And what was he doing?  Building a new nest from scratch, of course.  While I was happy to see the adult return to it's old nesting site, I was also sad because I knew that his mate would not be returning.  I wondered if he knew she was dead.  And, his return would mean that he'd have to find a new "love".

With each passing day, I watched as he painstakingly carried in sticks and twigs (some far too big for the nest) and then assemble the base.  This continued for days ( 03/25/20- 04/02/20) and during that time, the nest grew substantially considering there was only ONE adult doing all the work.  

Enduring high winds, heavy rain and even two cell tower workers scaling the tower to add/replace/repair the second level, he never gave up.  Day after day I watched as he worked, stopping only to fly to the nearby river and catch a fish.  He'd eat, preen and resume working.

In my heart, I wondered when he would venture off (perhaps to the shore) and come home with his "love".  Then one day as I watched the male work, a female appeared.  Sitting in my car, seeing his reaction as she approached I remember vividly how elated I was, thinking that perhaps she was "the one."

seeing, saying and sharing...

The "One"...A Story

with you and those at



to be continued...




Comments

Popular Posts