The Power of Flight







These critters are just a few that make flying look easy.  Zipping through the air effortlessly, soaring high then diving quickly in to land on their target, I often find myself spellbound.  The other afternoon, right before the sun disappeared in the West, I couldn't believe how many bugs the dragonflies snapped out of the air!  They zipped to and fro, up and down and seemed to vanish with sunshine.  I tried to get photos but the dragonflies were too far out of range.




Now these two were practically on top of me when I went to weed on the South side of the house.  Hungry for their sugar water, they were within reach and didn't care that I was in there among the wispy,white Gaura and tall, purple Liatris, which has spread so much this year.





Although not in flight, I have the utmost respect and admiration of the Eastern Phoebes that come and stay here all Spring and Summer.  Between them and the Eastern Bluebirds, the moth population is kept under control.  Besides, how could I not appreciate the Phoebe?  After all, while living in VA, when their nest was close to falling down and I attempted to place a ladder with a coco lined basket on top catch the nest and brace it's fall, the female attacked me.  Her attack caused me to loose my balance and fall off the ricking chair!!  Lesson learned:  never stand on a rocking chair.


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

The Power of Flight

with you and those at



Comments

Popular Posts