More Raptor Work





Up early as usual, I was at the gym by 7:30.  Who knew that two hours later when on my way home, I would spot a few very large birds in the distance.  I wonder exactly where they are, I thought.  Now heading in that direction, I thought if they were near the river and easy enough to get to, I'd investigate.  Parking the car I took two quick shots with my cell before getting the binoculars out of the back seat (remind me I need to clean my car!!).  

Recognizing the high pitched almost whistling sounds, I said out loud "Osprey."  Taking a closer look...sure enough... a pair of adult Osprey (aka sea hawk, river hawk, fish hawk) chattering away with what I believe was this year's fledgling.  A young Osprey takes it's first flight at 7-8 weeks, then practices flying and perching near the male's feeding perch calling when the male returns with food (which is what I photographed with my cell).

Once home, I emailed my friend, Mike (my guru on Bald Eagles) and asked if he knew who to contact regarding the activity and the nest.  With his help and that of Google, I found information on Osprey Nation - CT Audubon, which was my answer. 


Long story short, because I am diurnal like the Bald Eagle and Osprey, I volunteered to steward this Osprey nest from April-August in 2020.  Returning to do additional observations a few days later, I will send in weekly reports for the next few weeks to finish up this season. 

just seeing, saying, and sharing...

More Raptor Work

with you and those at


Comments

Popular Posts