OUCH!...A Story

Late one afternoon, when I was sitting under the pergola, a dragonfly decided to keep me company.  It perched in the sun while I sat in the shade.


When we first moved here, I went on a "Dragonflies and Damselflies" Walk.  Led by a man that became a VERY good friend over the years, he explained the habitat and various species as we came across them on our excursion.  I was fascinated.  When we stopped to take a small break, one of his assistants in training spoke up saying, "Look, a dragonfly landed on me.  Look at the size of him!"  We all turned to look closely as the colorful critter sat comfortably on his hand.  Suddenly he said, "Ouch!  He bit me."  

Walking over toward the young man, Juan replied, "Yes.  They can bite.  And it looks like he got a good chunk of skin."

In case you don't believe me, here's what Google said...

"YES, if you catch one and hold it in your hand and carelessly allow its mandibles to reach your skin, it will bite as hard as it can in self defense. Very few dragonflies can even break the skin, but some of the big ones can do so and may induce an “ouch”."


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

OUCH!...A Story

with you and those at 

Comments

Popular Posts