Calculating Hatch

Estimating a "hatch date" for the Eagles' eggs as 4/2*, with much anticipation I visited the site on 4/3 after hitting the gym, running home to change, stuff my face and grab my gear.

*(based on a pic I took of an adult sitting "low" on February 27th and the following :

February 27, 28 =  2 days
March               = 31 days
April 1, 2          =   2 days
             TOTAL = 35 days 
 (the standard estimated incubation)

Remaining at the nest site for 2 1/2 hrs observing behavior and trying to determine if we had a "hatch", I left feeling perplexed.  The behavior of the adult on the nest was difficult to understand while I was there.  

It wasn't until I was driving home, it hit me like a ton of bricks..."uh-duh, of course the adult's behavior was ambiguous...acting strangely.  It was probably sitting on one chick and one egg."

note to self:  it really helps to listen to yourself

You see, their position in the nest depends on whether they are on eggs or chicks.  They sit "low" when on eggs and "higher" when on chicks.  When settling down, the number of times rocking sideways varies as well as well as the actual settling. 

Anyway, before I got home, I decided to not return to the nest for several days (until yesterday, the 7th) which would give a second egg (if there was a second egg), a chance to hatch.  My thought process paid off.  

During the next week or so, I'll try to determine the "feeding schedule."  For instance, with one nest I monitored for 5 years, the pair exhibited amazing teamwork in the care of their chicks.  I am hoping to witness this behavior again.  Then, in about two weeks, I'll see itty, bitty, fuzzy heads...:)


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Calculating Hatch

with you and those at






Comments

Popular Posts