Two Minutes

Getting to the nest early last Wednesday, I was hoping to witness the adults swapping incubation duty and the turning of the eggs.  I didn't.  During the time frame I was there, I witnessed neither.  However, while driving home, my mind began doing some basic Math.  Hoping that my calculations and previous years of observations would help me determine the rotation schedule, I knew I had to return that morning.  I did just that.






The adult's posture was low (as it should be) with head barely visible for several hours,  Yet, it was when I saw a change in it's behavior that I knew "the swap" was about to happen.   Sitting in silence, it remained focused on the horizon.

Then Boom!  The incoming adult appeared out of nowhere.








Landing on the rim of the nest, the outgoing adult stood up, leaned down, turned the egg (s), and stepped onto the East side of the rim. 



The incoming adult balled up it's talons, walked toward the eggs, placed it's brood patch over the eggs and then rocked sideways five or six times.  The entire process took two minutes.

Driving home, I couldn't help but think:  What can I accomplish in just two minutes?  

Answering my own question were there words:  Nothing quite as awe inspiring as what I'd just witnessed.




just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Two Minutes 

with you and those at






Typically Eagles turn their eggs every 40-50 minutes and swap incubation every few hours.  Their eggs must be kept warm, yet protected from the harsh sun and although the female, whose brood patch is larger, does most of the work, the male knows his duties well.

Comments

Popular Posts