Spring Cleaning

Feeling worried and anxious about Katniss' surgery, I needed to keep both physically and mentally busy that Friday.  You all know that for me, nothing curtails worrying better than Bald Eagles.  So, off I went hoping to add more behavioral observations to the huge data file in my mind.

When I arrived at my spot, I could see something in the far corner of the nest with the naked eye even before getting out my gear. Then, peering through the binoculars, the 263 yd distance between us became negligible and I could clearly see it was one of the adults.  It was "hunkered down."  

Could it already be on eggs?, I thought.  After all, mid-February to late March is egg laying for Bald Eagles here in CT.  The date was 2/22/19.  The camera came out of the bag and I began rotating between the binoculars and my smaller camera.  (Next time I visit I vowed, no matter what, I'll bring "Zoomer".)  Behavioral observation is so fascinating and such a wonderful teacher,  and opportunity.  Quite honestly, I'm glad it's my passion.

Shortly after arriving, I sent a text to "Boss." Telling him I was at the nest with a "hunkered down" adult, he immediately responded with, "They may already be on eggs, JP."  




Minutes passed...minutes with me watching every move.  My response was...


"No way, Eagle One...too much movement...sitting way too high.  From the material I can see in the bill, I'm guessing nest work on the bowl and/or duff prior to mating.  

Material appears to be soft and pliable.  Over and out...Eagle Two."


Eagle One responded quickly.  Although busy on his day off, he takes Bald Eagles very seriously so his immediate response was no surprise.  We make a good team and work well together, always bouncing facts off of each other.  His answer was, "Good observations Eagle Two.  Sounds like thy're getting the nursery ready for sure."  

It wasn't long before the mate landed as the adult in the nest (assumed female based on size) continued to arrange and rearrange nesting materials.  Then they both worked on the rim.  They were definitely doing "nest work."  


Once a pair of hawks could be heard in the distance, the mate kept a vigilant watch while the adult in the nest continued work on the far corner of the nest.  Bald Eagles' behavior is a great example of teamwork.



When the female was done working, she spread her wings and headed over the distant tree-line, disappearing from my site quickly.  The male arranged a few branches and twigs on the rim, then sat silently...watching for abut 15 minutes before it too spread it's wings, circled the nest vicinity twice and headed in the same direction of it's mate. 


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Spring Cleaning

with you and those at




One more thing.  Later that afternoon I picked up Katniss.  The surgery went well.

Comments

Popular Posts