Observing Prospects




Here in CT, Bald Eagles mate and lay eggs between mid-February and the end of March.  The pair at the nest I monitored last year is on eggs, with a approximate hatch of April 1st.  However, that doesn't mean my observation skills cannot be used elsewhere.  So, when we got a tip about an Eagles "hanging out," I had to volunteer.

Although the first few trips there revealed nothing, I felt compelled to follow my instincts and return.

This lovely couple entertained me for several hours the other afternoon after I left the gym.  They've been hanging out at this location for a while now as have I, but it wasn't until this past Friday that I was able to come to some definitive conclusions. 



When I arrived and rolled down my window, I was able to record some typical chatter between the pair, although I saw neither bird.  Scanning the trees, I saw nothing until something on the ice moved.  Focusing on the movement, I was able to watch an immature (assumed to be last year's chick) taking in the warm, late morning sun.  Minutes later there were two immatures circling the small, partially frozen pond, swooping down occasionally to snag a snack before retreating to the trees.  Each time an immature was in flight and in close proximity to the trees, I heard the adult's high pitched alert.
Based on observed behaviors: 

they are definitely strong prospects for mating/egg laying;

based on behaviors observed, I would speculate that mating will be soon (educated guess before month end);

they had chicks last year (based on behaviors seen that afternoon);

once they are on eggs, they will not tolerate the immature (s) in their territory

Now all I have to do is FIND THE NEST!

just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Observing Prospects

with you and those at


Comments

Popular Posts