Getting Physical

Following the deep crevice left by the previous bundle of sticks I struggled to carry across the partially thawed yard, I couldn't help but think about my purpose there that day.  This wasn't about me.  It was about her.  I'd decided that since she couldn't, I would clean up her beautiful yard.  Temps were in the mid 30's so it was good working weather.

Although all I accomplished that first morning was about a quarter of the front yard, I knew she would be pleased.  Returning the next two days, the work somehow seemed easier.  The fourth day, however, it was raining and although only a light rain, it made for sloppy work so I had to take extra care so as not to slip and fall as I carried the bundles into the woods in back.  Just as I was about to get into my car, I heard a faint, "JP...JP, come on in."

Covered in dirt and mud, I stopped to take off my boots and nylon pants but she quickly said, "Just get in here...it's cold out there and I can't take the cold.  Come sit with us near the wood stove."

Sitting in the DR chair her husband had moved closer to the stove, I'll admit the radiating warmth made my chilled, old bones feel better almost immediately.  "You don't have to pick up the sticks for us. We don't want you to do it."

Holding back tears, my response was short, "It makes me feel better." then she, her husband and I all smiled and nodded at the same time. We all knew what the other was thinking...sometimes getting physical alleviates the worry, the anger, and the stress.  For me, physical activity is a panacea.

It was then that she told me to stop picking up the yard for them because they had hired someone. Quite honestly, I was relieved. Getting physical can be exhausting at my age. After she filled me in on the plan of attack on her stage 3 ovarian cancer, we talked Eagles. She fell in love with them when I introduced her to my passion last year. She loves the data that lives in my head and always looks forward to more tidbits of information s well as another story.

The following day, I decided that I'd better work on the ice on our decks.  Because the snow slides off the solar panels, it forms large piles which soften during the day then re-freeze at night.  The Pres told me just to wait until it melts, but since I walk across the decks to get to my bird feeders, it makes it a dicey walk for me.

 The next morning, I decided it was "me time" and headed out to a favorite spot to walk.

Surrounded by woods and near the river, I have the best of both worlds...water and trees and Eagles, of course.  

However, after I walked about 100', I realized I'd better go back to my car and put on my Stabilizers.  It was VERY icy.  The air temps were warm enough to melt the ice, but because the ground was still frozen, it made walking a little dicey.  I hadn't thought about the lack of sunlight on the forest floor nor them impact from the river.

Unfortunately, after about 30 minutes, I turned around and headed back to my car.  After all, slipping, falling and breaking a bone WOULD NOT MAKE ME HAPPY nor would anyone know where I was.




just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Getting Physical

with you and those at


This Winter, while we haven't had much snow, we have had "mixed precipitation" including sleet and freezing rain.  In fact, as I get ready to hit [Publish], more snow transitioning to sleet, then freezing rain is predicted.  UGH!  More scraping, pushing and chopping tomorrow.  

Comments

Popular Posts