Tree Talk

Having the opportunity to visit a working Christmas Tree Farm, I thought "it's something I've never done, go and see what it's like." 










When I left home, it was cloudy, damp and cold which was supposed to change to sunny and close to 40 degrees.  Shortly after I arrived and while waiting for the others, I realized the meteorologists lied.  Staying overcast and cold all morning and afternoon, i was glad that I put on additional layers, a warm hat and gloves rather than just a vest as soon as I got out of my car.  (Thank goodness I always have extra clothes in my car!!)




next year's buds



Following the owner of the tree farm from one level to the next, he spoke of the many varieties of spruce, which is the only type of evergreen that they grow.  The types of spruce they specialize in are:  Norway, Blue, White, Black Hill and Serbian spruce.  Did you know that it takes three years for the root system to establish once the young tree leaves the "transplant bed"?  Did you know that spruce grow about one foot a year?  Another interesting thing was how many 20'-30' trees they sell each year!







Without going into too much detail, Spruce can be identified initially by the way their needles are attached individually to the branches as opposed to being in clusters.  Spruce needles are VERY sharp and can easily be rolled between your fingers. 

Yes, and I had met the owner yet never knew he owned Gray Ledge Christmas Tree Farm.  He is a historian, a retired teacher and a Christmas Tree Farm owner...:)


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Tree Talk

with you and those at





Comments

Popular Posts