A Story: No More Hunger Games

Seeing it occasionally as it dashed through the underbrush, I wondered where the mother and sibling were.  

Back in October my neighbor told me "Keep your eyes peeled.  The black cat has two kittens following her...one is all black like the her and the other kitten has four white paws."  Days passed and all three vanished.  Although my neighbor and I talked about the cat whenever we saw each other, we thought it had found it's way back home.  

Yet, it was when I spotted the feral kitten with the white paws hunting recently both in my woods and along my stonewall that I said to Cher, "I've got to catch that thing and call the ACO before it gets cold."  Well, I cannot tell you how many days and hours I spent trying to catch the little thing.  Then the forecast came and hearing the temps would drop to the single digits, a little more effort was required.  This time I was on a mission.  Hoping to get back before the Pres got home, I went to Walmart, and hit the pet isles.    

Unfortunately by the time I got home from Walmart, it was pitch dark and of course, the Pres was home.  Just as I began to tell him about seeing the kitten while I was in the kitchen, suddenly I saw little flashes of white zoom across my deck and I knew it was out there.  Blurting out, "There it is," while ripping the packaging off the soft sided, collapsible carrier, I headed for the cupboard.  Opening a can of tuna packed in water faster than I ever have,  I dumped most of the tuna out leaving only a smidgen and a lot of juice in the can, and headed toward the slider.  As I opened the door, I heard,   "And what are you going to do with it if you catch it?" in that tone.  But before my mouth could connect to my brain, I said, "I'm probably going to keep it," shutting the door.

Holding out my hand with the can so it got a good whiff, I then pushed the can way back inside the carrier and sat on the chair beside it.  It climbed the stairs and as it walked closer toward the bowl of water, I hoped that this plan would work for me.  If it worked for my daughter when they caught "Tuna," it should work for me.  Please GOD let me help this little thing.

My prayers were answered.  I FINALLY caught the little, hungry hunter, although once it realized it was trapped, IT SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER.  Against the Pres' wishes, I put it in my office, and unzipped the carrier.  After feasting on Fancy Feast's Kitten Pate, it hid under my big chair.  That's where I left it and that's where I found it the next morning, although it used it's new litter box.

After a very noisy car ride, it wasn't THAT bad at the Vet, who told me it is a female and approximately 10 wks old.  Weighing in at a whopping 2.4 lbs, and having double front paws, she melted everyone's heart.  That afternoon, thanks to my neighbor telling me that "she is small but she is fierce," we thought that  Katniss (taken from "The Hunger Games") was fitting for her especially since I always saw her hunting. 






just seeing, saying, and sharing...

A Story:  No More Hunger Games

with you and those at





One more thing.  Did I tell you I'm allergic to cats?

Comments

Popular Posts