Birds, Bunnies and Bugs

At last there has been some time to collect a few shots of what's been going on here at home.  

Although I do not yet know what bird is making a very interesting and unique call each morning, those that are familiar to me seem to be enjoying their space.

This year, thanks to an idea from a close friend, I hung a creation that seems to be an attraction to certain species.

Placing a dollop of grape jelly onto the inexpensive ceramic plate that I simply set inside the cedar bird feeder (both purchased at Ocean State Job Lot) did the trick.  The Catbirds and Orioles love it...both the jelly and juice!



The birds seem very busy this year.  Several pairs of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Cardinals and both Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers dart in and out of the woods to and from the feeders.


Spotting a young Dove flying with it's parents, I waited for it to land in the tree across from the deck.  Got it!!



The Gold Finches have been plentiful around here this year as well.


With it being extremely hot, humid and dry everything seemed to need water frequently.  The birdbaths were refilled daily with fresh, clean, cool water for drinking.


And remember those adorable, playful little bunnies that were so cute in the Spring?  Well let me tell you, they are driving me crazy!!  Is it because I no longer have the dogs?  Or is it because the Eagles no longer live next door?  I don't know.  What I do know is I am feeling more and more like Elmer Fudd each evening and each morning when I step outside.  

The other morning, I saw one nibbling near my Butterfly Bush above the stonewall.  Opening the slider and stepping out onto the deck, I then watched it. 


Standing on it's hind legs, it reached up as high as it could, grabbed a Black-Eyed Susan stem and snap it off.  It turned to look at me ad began scampering across the lawn nibbling on the stem once it stopped close to my fence!!

There have been days where I've counted three rabbits in the backyard and fur in the front.  In fact, one evening after Tai Chi when I drove up the gravel road, I think they were having a seminar in my driveway!!

Yet, it's all good, especially when this guy stopped chewing long enough to smile at me on that hot, humid morning. 

 
Hey, did you know that Dragonflies bite?
 


just seeing, saying and sharing...

Birds, Bunnies and Bugs

with you and those at








Comments

Popular Posts