Reflections On Ice

Saturday was a super busy day for me.  It was yet another opportunity to get some fresh air!!  Texting "Bill" Friday night, I asked him to confirm what time everyone was meeting for "the snowshoe hike" EVEN THOUGH WE DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH SNOW on the ground...LOL!!  

When he answered me, he suggested that I bring my walking stick with a sharp end, water, snacks and to dress warm, stating that we would be out in the woods "walking the loop" for about 2 1/2 hours.  He also said to bring "YakTrax" if I had them because, although there was no snow, what we had instead was ICE...and it was everywhere!


Before I pulled out of the garage I ran back into the house to grab my "Yaktrax" from the Winter storage bin.  Bought back in the late-90's, they hadn't been used in a long time, so I thought they would be fine if I needed them.

And need them I did.  In fact, the parking lot was a virtual skating rink.  As soon as I set one boot on the ground, I turned, grabbed them off the passenger seat and pulled them over my boots.  They worked perfectly as I navigated my way over the icy covered trails through the woods up and down hills and on iced-over paths that looped around the lake.  For those of us that were fortunate enough to have them, it was an exhilarating and fun hike all while enjoying the fresh air in mid-February with fellow outdoor enthusiasts.  

It was a learning (what else is new??) too.  Two of my fellow hikers explained geocaching to me.  Apparently an app on their phones was signaling them that there was something within 50 feet of us.  So, when they told "Boss" that they were taking a detour and would catch up, I shouted out, "Boss, I'm with them."  It was so cool to watch them discover the old ammunition box beneath two fallen trees, open it, log in and return it to it's "special place." 


Since it was the first 6 mile hike I've done in years, I really wasn't sure how by body would fare both during it and the day after.  On Sunday, I felt pretty good although after speaking with a fellow hiker, decided to give my knees a well deserved rest.


just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Reflections On Ice

with you and those at



Enjoy Winter


Comments

Popular Posts