Good News, Bad News

With all the tropical storms that made their way toward the East coast over the Summer, our weather was exceptionally windy...and I mean exceptionally.  





In fact, recently walking into the woods I found myself continually looking at the branches above me until I got to the clearing and out from under the tree canopy. You see, I planned on exploring the base of the Eagles' nest because...





~~~~~

A few weeks ago, when I touched base with "Boss", the subject of "my" eagles came up. I always pick his brain and run things by him when it comes to the behaviors I observe.  However, he couldn't really answer a few questions, so he then gave me the name/email of a gentleman who is a long time member of the "Bald Eagle Study Group" for many, many years.  "He practically wrote the book, is an awesome fellow JP and I think you should ask him.  With all his experience, he would be the resource to go to."

I did just that.

Yes, reaching out to "Mike" has been yet another eye opening experience.  As he so aptly put it,"JP, I have ordered new Bald Eagle Study Group stickers.  When they come in, I'll send you one.  There's no dues, no roster and all the meetings are outside--but the sticker on your car can sometimes convince the cops that you are really looking at birds, not conducting a drug deal or planning mayhem."

Made up of entirely volunteers, the group was started by Don Hopkins in 1975 after an adult bald eagle was observed during breeding season on the upper Farmington River here in CT.   "The purpose of the group is to enjoy eagles, educate others, and, most of all, provide timely information on eagle nest locations, egg laying, hatching, and fledging dates.

Well, it came in the mail the other day, along with a package of documentation on the behavioral studies of Bald Eagles.  I am still digesting the data that the group has collected.  Hopefully I will retain enough of it so when the season begins again here and IF the eagles return, I will be ready.
~~~~~


Est 12" spine
Bottom line is this.  After numerous emails, questions, answers, and photos, Mike wanted me to send him pix of what I found at the base of the nest because when I went in, I found bones, spines, and various feathers. 


Est 3" bone

Nearly 5 inch bone

Broken limb from supporting branch

Nesting debris caught in crotch of tree


But that wasn't all I found.  I discovered that several limbs had come down and the nest had plummeted to the ground.  Piles of twigs (from the once woven rim) and dried grasses, and pine needles (from the bowl) lay on the ground in a heap below the nesting tree.

This nest was used since 2013...five nesting seasons, so now we sit and wait to see if a pair returns.  I say "a pair" as opposed to "they" because I also was able to prove that it has not been the same pair that consistently use this nest!


 just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Good News, Bad News

with you and those at

Comments

Popular Posts