Behind Closed Doors

Volunteering for various events over the past few weeks has kept me more than busy.  One of three recent activities gave me a few "photo-ops" for today post.




The event I volunteered at was hosted by the Canterbury Historical Society.  Actually, it turned out to be quite a surprise as were these adorable fluff-balls.


I wonder how that white one stays so "white"?

Of course, as I wandered by, the two attention seekers shown below let me know they wanted out!


While you look at the critters, I'll tell what happened to make the event such a surprise.


Originally, I was supposed to be assisting "the event manager"...the man I call Boss even though he's not my boss.


I arrived ahead of schedule to find that he already had our tent and tables all set up as well as the signage in place.



Parking the car and walking over to our spot, he said, "JP, we have a problem.  The Event Manager for  Woodstock got hurt, so I am going to go cover Woodstock.  You'll be on your own here today.  I'll come by when it's over and pick up all the stuff.  All you have to do is pack it up."


Sounds easy, right?


Well, first of all, I have no qualms about managing an event, so that part was okay.

Quite honestly what I was concerned about is WHO IS GOING TO RELIEVE ME WHEN I HAVE TO RELIEVE MYSELF?

And, leave it to "Boss."  He'd asked one of the recent hires who lives there in town to swing by so I could "go."


And she did just that, which is how I was able to get these pics...to and from the "john."

What was not a great experience was when the event was over and I had to pack everything up.  Oh, our brochures, maps, guides, signage, etc. was a piece of cake.  Even the folding tables could be managed by one person and placed in their zippered cases.  It was the darn tent that was not an easy thing to disassemble that was the nightmare.  However, thanks to two very nice gentlemen, we got it down and in it's case (Although being men, they insisted it go into the case top first.  They were wrong but did not want to listen to me.)

All packed up and ready to go, there I sat waiting for Boss on the steps of the church to help load everything in his truck.  "JP, I owe you combat pay for this one," he said with a broad grin as he walked from the parking lot.  


So now, as a volunteer...as a Ranger...I am also an Event Manager when needed.
In fact, I just did another one yesterday.  What is nice about managing the event is I get paid...not just gas mileage.  Nice little part-time job, if I do say so myself....:)





just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Behind Closed Doors
(which all these critters were)

with you and those at




Comments

Popular Posts