The Good, The Bad, The Ugly


Yep, it's your friend and mine nibbling on the plants outside the front door!




Thursday night after we ate supper, I said to the Pres, "Honey, I forgot to fill the feeders and we're getting storms tomorrow.  Don't lock this door.  I'll be right back in."

Walking along the East side of the house on my way to the metal can we store the bird seed in, I spotted something in the tall grass.  It looked like coyote poop to me which I though was very odd since we have a fence around the cleared portion of the yard.  Carrying the huge watering can filled with seed, as I neared the "bird sanctuary" behind the gate and fence, I saw something on the lawn.  It was a dead mouse.



When I opened the gate, to get to the feeders located in the "bird sanctuary", I saw a dead chipmunk and two more dead mice.  All the dead were "in tact", which is what I told the Pres when I asked him to come and see what I'd discovered.

He scooped the poop and flung it into the woods while I filled feeders.  We agreed to leave the dead where they were knowing that we don't use digestible poison to kill rodents.  The next morning they were all gone.  Something had taken all of them during the night.

While I wondered how a coyote got into the yard, the Pres thinks it could scoot under the fence, although we both agreed that a coyote would have eaten it's kill as would a bobcat (which I have seen here), any of the local hawks and owls. However, then we thought that a common house cat would just kill and not devour, so maybe that's the resident hunter.

Apparently, now that the dogs have been gone, the locals may be moving in "for the kill."  Meanwhile, I still have tons of bunnies...

just seeing, saying, and sharing...

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

with you and those at



Comments

Popular Posts