Leftovers and Critters

We seem to have a lot more critters showing up over the past few months:

Remember those cute little bunnies I found in my lower perennial bed?  Well, since I last mentioned them, we now have RABBITS EVERYWHERE!!!!  I kid you not, regardless of which direction you look in the morning or at dusk, you'll spot a rabbit.    In fact, the chicken wiring that the Pres and I put up to protect my front perennial did not even keep the rascals out.  They ate my Lupines, the Dianthus that Auntie Gloria gave me years ago, the early shoots of the Garden Phlox, all my Virginia Bluebells in both the upper and lower beds, the tender, young shoots of my Hosta, all the Pansies, and even some new shoots of Sedum!!  Yes indeed those cute little bunnies had voracious appetites.  They cleaned house every evening and every day when I went out to weed, I would find their leftovers, which resembled dry, wrinkled, damaged lettuce leaves like you and I throw away.  In fact several times while I was in the upper bed, a baby about the size of my fist would scurry away, taking cover in the Ajuga, Creeping Phlox and Iris.  Not only was I cleaning up after the Pres but now I was cleaning up after the darn rabbits!!  And they made their hutches under my plants too!  I found one under a clump of Lilies, another one under the Dianthus and the third one was near the Bachelor Buttons!!

  

This one was the most brazen.  It would eat everything along the walk that leads to the front door!!

   




Of course, our place wouldn't be home without the deer. Wandering around the perimeter of the fenceline and snorting at me when I walk into the woods to observe the Eagles, they remain well fed enjoying the salt lick we put down for them.




Lately a wild turkey..a hen...wanders through the yard every morning with her seven young ones.  However, this morning their were eight when I counted.  It was so funny to watch the mom carefully scan her young.  Watching her do a double-take, she immediately charged into the crowd of eight singling out a "jenny" (a young female)...who definitely was not hers nor did she want it near her poults!  Please accept my apologies for the pix as they were taken through the screened windows.



Finally, for some reason, I'm seeing a lot of Monarchs this year, which I am very happy to see.  Although I don't want to take all the credit, I did help Mother Nature along by planting tons of Milkweed seed (but shhhhhhh...don't tell the Pres...he hates Milkweed plants near his LAWN)!!




just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Leftovers and Critters




Comments

Popular Posts