Spring Clean-Up

Although I really had no idea of what to expect, driving to my destination Saturday, I was looking forward to it.  After all, I was going to be one of many volunteers who offered to help clean up the grounds at Horizon Wings Raptor Rehabilitation & Education.

Greeted first by the resident goats, chickens and turkey, I immediately asked permission if I could take pictures.  And though I have only a few for you here, it was a volunteer event that I will always cherish, thanks to the hospitality of Horizon Wings.



Emrys, a Barred Owl

I will tell you that working around the aviaries of these birds, one develops a whole new perspective.  They all have personalities of their own, which became more and more apparent being close to them.

An aviary is an enclosure used for confining birds.  They are not cages.  An aviary allows birds a much larger living space, where they can fly.  Sometimes they are called "flight cages" and often contain plants to stimulate a natural environment.

Atka, Bald Eagle
Foster (Emrys mate)

Volunteering as a representative of  The Last Green Valley, I knew that this event would be interesting to say the least.  And it was. Working along side of many other volunteers to help "clean-up" the grounds to prepare for their big event to be held Earth Day, April 22nd, we raked leaves, picked up sticks, and dragged tarps filled with debris off into the nearby woods.

However, even though we did yard-work, both the work and time flew by (pardon the pun).
Chrysos, Golden Eagle
As I worked along side one of the regular Horizon volunteers, we made our way along side each aviary trying not to disturb or startle the birds.  And yes, I got to see them all...Eagles, Crows, Ravens, Vultures, Red-Tails and Owls.   This one was my favorite.

This, my friends, is Oscar, the Great Horned Owl.



just seeing, saying, and sharing...

Spring Clean-Up

with you and those at




Comments

Popular Posts