The Last Storm


March 10th a small Winter storm rolled in and gave us a beautiful, fluffy blanket of white.    It wasn't that big of a deal...only a few inches of soft, fluffy snow. Copper, Moon and I had fun that day.   Little did I know that it was to be Copper's last storm.
  
~~~~~
As you know, Copper and Moon are older...Copper almost 14 and Moon nearly 13.  Other than arthritis, they are both healthy dogs.  However, Copper just hadn't been himself since Christmas.  He was having difficulty getting up from his bed and his entire back end had become very weak.  He could no longer "make it" to his favorite spot and was pooping his bed without even realizing it.   He had lost weight because he wasn't eating every day.  It was as if he was eating to stay alive.

The Pres kept telling me that he would feel better when the weather warmed up. However, I knew otherwise because I saw what was happening to him.  And it's a difficult decision to make especially when some people don't "see."  But rather they see, the tail still wagging occasionally, a bit of energy and/or happiness in the dog.  And in speaking with the Vet over the past few months, I asked, "How will I know when it's time?"  Her sympathetic and compassionate response was simple, "You'll know."

That morning...the morning after the storm...I knew it was time.  While we were outside, a gust of wind literally knocked him over.  I was down in the woods and came running to help him up.  His hind legs had become so weak he could hardly support his own weight.   Yes, I knew it was time.

That morning I made the decision to put him down because he was no longer living the of life he had for 13 years with us...the life he loved and deserved.  





Copper Lucas Aspen  on 3/10/17

just seeing, saying, and sharing...

The Last Storm

with you and those at

Comments

Popular Posts