Seeing Spots

One Saturday in September,  I had an opportunity to visit some friends, who don't live that far from me. Months ago, they had mentioned an event that was to be held at their place and invited me out to spend the day.  

SHE trains herding stock dogs and their masters. Her husband, an accomplished pilot, oversees and manages the trials which  are held throughout the year.  HE still dabbles in his field of aviation instruction and technology as well.  

Arriving early, I parked close to the house and began to peek around at the surroundings.  

FENCES, Fences EVERYWHERE
While some had fur, some had hair.
And truth be told, I learned lots
So much, in fact, I saw SPOTS!

Sure, the fences drew me in but it was what was within those fences that had me the moment I arrived.  About an hour into observing, I began to distinguish those dogs that "could" and those that "needed work." It was an amazing experience! Coming away with a respect for the art of raising and training herding dogs (and their masters), I told them I would be back. Perhaps you can see why.


Remember I said, I saw so much, I SAW SPOTS?


As you can imagine, not only were there herding dogs of all shapes and sizes (many of which I was personally introduced to I might add), they needed something to work with, right?

Well, there were cattle, ducks (lots of ducks), sheep and goats.  Did you know that if during a herding trial a dog touches a duck, they are disqualified?



Admittedly, I was more than a tad concerned when I zoomed in the this powerful pooch (aka Bouvier) licking it's chops while herding the ducks. 


Well, as the day ended for me and I said farewell to my gracious hosts, before I left there was something they wanted me to see "around back."  

 I met SPOTS...
their new Aussie.


just seeing saying and sharing...

Seeing Spots

with you and those at



Oh, and one more thing.  I was just invited back to take more pix of Spots for them.

Comments

Popular Posts