Raptor Capture

Several weeks ago, when my friend mentioned, "Hey, they're having a thing on the 18th about falconry. Want to go?"
"Absolutely...I'll meet you there," came out of my mouth before taking my next breath on the elliptical.
Fast forward two weeks and there we were, sitting in the second row, listening to and learning about more raptors. The topic was the ancient art of falconry.

To become a falconer, you have to trap your own bird of prey, work with it to gain it's trust, teaching it how to hunt and return to you. Learning to work as a team, it takes years to become a "Master Falconer." Some falconer a use smaller dog breeds such as Dachshunds to flush out prey enabling the hunt.
To further demonstrate the trust a handler builds, we had the chance to meet:
Fiona, a young, rehabilitated American Kestrel, who was simply beyond beautiful...





Athena, an eleven year old Penegrine Falcon, a pretty demure subject herself...







Patrick, a Red-Tail Hawk, a striking hunk, if I do say so myself...







and lastly Chrysos, a Golden Eagle, a magnificent raptor.






Hmmmm?
What do you think...
should I try to capture a raptor?



saying and sharing...

Comments

Popular Posts