Accidents Happen

It was almost like any other Friday morning.  Almost.

 Sure I left much earlier than I normally do but I thought by getting my workout in early, I would be home early...early enough to make a small batch of Apple Crisp for us and cook up the chicken for the dogs.  That was the plan. 

However, that plan just wasn't meant to happen because...

Noticing how early it was after my workout, I thought "Great, I'll be home nice and early, get everything done and then take my nap."  Turning onto the small side road the Pres and I use, I began to accelerate to make the hill and curve.  But coming from the opposite direction...coming down the hill (very fast, I might add), a small, red, older model car with four young people apparently couldn't quite make the corner. Perhaps the drive tried to steer and over-corrected.  We'll never know.  But, the back end of their hit the guardrail on their side of the road causing their car to spin and launch across the two lane road...right into me.


It happened so fast and my mind keeps playing the video of their car coming towards me as I tried to avoid them.  But, I couldn't. 

They plowed into me with such force that their small, two door pushed my Forester off the road onto the grass.  Air bags deployed all around me and suddenly I found myself sitting, inhaling deeply over and over as I watched four young people climb out of the small, two door, red sedan.   


People stopped to help...I wish I knew who they were so I could thank them.  Someone called 911.  The ambulances transported the four young people and myself to the ER.  Wearing the neck brace the EMT had placed on me, waiting for tests, scans and more tests, it was now time to go home after being at the ER for 7 hours.

The four young people...well, I hope they will be fine too.  Yesterday at the ER, shards of glass were being extracted from the arm and face of the young girl in the front seat while the driver's enormous hematoma on his head seemed to be under control.  Neither were wearing their seat-belts, I was told.  

Banged up and still very sore today, I will be fine, thanks to my Subaru Forester and it's airbags.  Yes,I will be fine even though accidents happen.  


Comments

Popular Posts