The Perfect Gift

With all the best ingredients piled high on the kitchen island, I began the day after I ran into Dean. Digging through my old recipe book, I had come across one recipe in particular which I thought would make the perfect gift.  It was my MIL's handwritten Fruitcake recipe and if you knew my MIL, you would know it would make the perfect gift.





HOWEVER (note the big "however")....

I knew there was a problem when I saw the batter nearing the top of the 4 1/2 quart stainless mixing bowl and still add more ingredients to add! So, after transferring the thick, fragrant beige colored batter into the largest bowl I own, I became concerned.  So I did what any baker would do. I took out more pans and prepped them too.





Well, nine small loaf pans and a ten inch tube pan later, they were placed in the convection oven, following my MIL's directions to the letter. Hesitant to set the time to 3 hours as her instructions said, I did, knowing she was a great cook and everything she made was just heavenly.



Soon the entire house was oh so fragrant. Three hours later when the timer went off and I placed the treasures on the island to cool, I knew one of these would be the perfect gift for my fruitcake loving friend.

But it was when the doorbell rang that I knew I would have my concerns about it's flavor taken care of.  It was OS (Other Son) who is the best guinea pig taste tester ever.  He was more than willing to give it a try!  In fact, he ate one entire small loaf!!


Now because I had so many, the following day when I went to the gym, I asked my friends who liked fruitcake. Believe it or not , I now have a list of recipients who were willing to help me out!


Whatever you do this Christmas, do it from the heart.
It makes the perfect gift.


Merry Christmas everyone!





Comments

Popular Posts